I'm Flaming Your Sigs

Rin

Listen up, homies. We need to have a talk about your forum sigs and how the fuck this is supposed to work.

(And as a disclaimer before we get into the meat of it, this is tongue-in-cheek. While I do unironically want to present the opinion, the tone isn't that serious and it ultimately isn't a big deal. I hate having to clarify, but people have taken the bait before...you've been warned).

My brothers, sisters, and otherwise in Christ. The resolution of my desktop monitors are 2560x1440 pixels. You know what I expect to be that large? My wallpaper. You know what absolutely SHOULDN'T be that large? Your fucking forum signature.

A wise man once said, "the ideal signature graphic is 185px high by 400px wide. And that wise-ass man set the standard for generations of sig makers to come, putting into stone the holy words that governed our functioning society. Deviation from the norm was common, indeed, but never so egregious as to completely detach themselves from the holy light of our divine spirit.

4vZSR9F.png

And yet, despite the holy teachings of those that came before us, we somehow have hordes of people rocking fucking desktop wallpapers (yes, plural!) after every single post they make on the forum. We're talking gargantuan tomes worth of screen space taken up by ludicrously large and unnecessarily hi-res renderings, enough to literally triple or quadruple the amount of real estate taken up by your response that just contained the phrase "lmao."

"But Sonnet Rin, my idea couldn't be contained in such a small box!"

Absolutely fine. Not a problem whatsoever. The sacred texts did not define a requirement, but a guideline that future artists could refer to when sculpting out their masterpieces. I don't care if your graphic is wider, a bit taller, if the aspect ratio has more of a hockey card kind of look. But if its resolution starts creeping into that 4 digit range, maybe it's time to take a second look.

"But Rin, if you don't like someone's sig, why don't you just mute it? The forum lets you block certain signatures from showing up fairly easily."

Because I like looking at all the cool shit people make on this site. We have some wildly talented people here, people who have been around eons longer than I have and have honed their craft over their tenure. People who are just getting into things, showing incredible progress or unique ideas that introduce a whole new concept or approach to the idea of a forum signature. I don't want to mute someone's dogshit, phone book lookin graphic sig on one day, only for them to change it to something fantastic and real estate-considerate the next. Actively blocking myself out of good content is a last resort "emergency" kind of action that I would rather not take.

TL;DR: If it's over 4 digits, it's time to revisit. Happy sig making, homies