Interview with Houston Bulls GM

AJW

@STZ Finally getting this posted after a week, my bad! (and it's theme week now woops)

A week ago I had the chance to interview the newest Houston Bulls General Manager, STZ. STZ has been busy since stepping into office and I was curious with what his plans were with the team since I left. I didn't leave the team with the brightest future for this season, but we'll get into that more here.

Since joining the Houston Bulls management what has been your game plan for this organization?

I think it's very important at the VHLM level that we give support to our new members, and engage them with the league to show them the game and community that has made us all stick around. My game plan for Houston is to help get as many players into the VHL as possible. That's a pretty broad statement, considering it can take a number of different things to keep a player active and interested in the VHL. As a GM the objective is to find out what each member wants out of the league, and to show them how they can get that out of the experience. 

With a rough start to S90, following a cup hungry run in S89 which didn't go to plan, the team was not left with many assets and some trades have been recently made in Houston. How will these two trades, involving sending two capped players out, benefit Houston for S91?

Well, it helps in the fact that we make sure that two great players and two great members get on to a Cup Contending team. ROOKIE and Velvera have both worked very hard to hit 200 TPE by the start of the season, so the big thing is to get them onto a roster that is contending - and hopefully keep them engaged and inspired to make great VHL stars. For Houston, we benefit by loading up on S91 picks. The remaining players will stay in Houston unless they wish otherwise to leave, however we should be very strong come next season.

What will the rest of S90 look like for Houston?

We continue to press on. Unfortunately it looks like we are on the outside looking in when it comes to new creates. I think seeing this has been the most shocking thing in my first year as GM - I really thought I would have more opportunity to work with new members and creates. It’s been very frustrating watching very minimal new members create. We will welcome any new members we can get, however, I’m just here to support the members that are still on the roster.

Do you have any short or long term goals for Houston? The Bulls haven’t raised a cup in over 20 seasons which was and still is the franchise’s only Victory Cup.

I would love to get a cup for Houston next season. I seriously don’t put too much weight into it, I really am all about developing players into high VHL draft picks. Having a competitive team is a product of having active and developed players, so I would love to have a Cup run in the near future. Moving forward Houston will always look to have a history of drafting and developing members, and we look to build a reputation of having a program that VHL GM’s can trust when it comes to Draft Day.

You’re a well known member throughout the VHL, joining the league almost 10 years ago now in 2013. What does this league experience that you have gained, as well as previous GM experience gained throughout these years bring to Houston’s management team? What does it bring for the players?

I've had a few runs as GM in the VHLM and a two runs in the VHL. I think the big takeaway is that the best memories comes from outside of sim results. Of course we all follow the sim, but when you rely on winning, and winning only to get enjoyment from the league, you will realize very quickly that you're not going to have fun here. I also have created a lot of players, the majority of which are HOF caliber. So I can help with build ideas, and I like to think I know how to manage a player's career.

Lastly, what is something about yourself that most people don’t know?

This is a hard one. I’ve been around a long time, and I think I’m a pretty approachable and open person - kind of what you see is what you get. I do have my eye on my next create for S100 and the name will be an ode to my first VHL player and my son who turns one year old next week. 

It was nice getting to know STZ a bit better through these questions, and it seems like the Bull's organization is in good hands! After the conclusion of S90 I am sure that STZ and the Houston Bulls will be able to bounce back into the discussion of good teams in the VHLM. Thanks again for the great answers and good luck with the remainder of this season! 🔥