Scouting Report - Giorgiy Costanzov

Mongoose87

Oy87a5a.jpeg

OVERVIEW

Giorgiy Costanzov is something of an anomaly for contemporary goaltending, representing a style of play that truly died out in the 90s.. He lacks the mental fortitude one would like to see in net, yet he seems to succeed anyways. He is extremely undersized, small for a wing, let alone for what has become the biggest position in hockey, but is deceptively agile, often finding himself diving across the crease or attempting challenging poke checks to make saves that would be routine for a butterfly goalie. 

Anonymously, scouts have remarked at how peculiar their interviews with him have been. "He came up and introduced himself to me, he said, 'Name is Giorgiy, I am unemploying and live with parents.' I didn't know what to say," one scout reported. He has expressed numerous misgivings about his father, legendary Red Army goaltender Fedir Costanzov and described a bizarre punishment where he would be made to wrestle Fedir off of a goalpost before he could leave the house. 

THE BAD

• Does not have ideal size for a goaltender. Costanzov says he is 5'5", but reports say he actually measures 5'4.5". A stocky, short limbed build does not help to counter that concern. 

• Not naturally athletic. Has a physique that suggests poor workout habits and low levels of off-ice commitment to his own improvement. 

• Extremely neurotic. Some teammates find him extremely off-putting, and he has been known to lose it at the drop of a hat. After being pulled in the finals, stormed out of the arena yelling about  "the summer of Giorgiy." You really wonder if he has the mentality for professional hockey - professional anything, really. 

• I saw him eat poutine out of a garbage can.

THE GOOD

• Deceptively agile and flexible. Manages to throw himself across the crease from any position. Literally made a save with his pants down.

• Not afraid to be aggressive in fighting the screen. Has been known to knock players right over on his way across the crease. 

• Elite glove ability. Has been known to practice his trapper on golf balls. Always gets the high glove side, now matter how rough it is to see. 

• Team owners love him. Was constantly getting called into the front office for private meetings. 

THE BOTTOM LINE 

Costanzov is a curious prospect. If he continues to overcome his physical and psychological shortcomings, he could succeed at the VHL level. Could he ever live up to his father's legacy? Seems doubtful.