C.G.Y. Janser pondering about the draft

Daniel Janser

Callum has found a bed and breakfast pension in Whitehorse, run be an elderly couple. He likes the homey place they made themselves. Canadian Thanksgiving was just come and gone and they treated him like family rather than a guest. They told him that their only son unfortunately passed away way too early when his plane crashed over the Atlantic Ocean. The rescue party could not even find a body for them to bury. This was twenty years ago. 'But', they said, 'we carried on. Our dear Charlie would not have wanted us to despair.' So they helped out in their church, and supported any fund raiser, especially when this was for the benefit of children. Cal was impressed by this couple's resilience and tenacity. They asked him to not 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' them but to call them Vernon and Margareth. Cal-Gary felt so welcome he wanted to do something for them, which also would help to distract him from the incoming draft. So he asked, whether there is something which needs done around the house. His grandpa has taught him many things about maintaining a house. Vernon was almost ashamed when he said that there was something. 'The apple trees need some pruning and my back does not allow me anymore to climb a ladder. I am not as spry as I used to be. So this would come in very handy.' 'Say no more', exclaimed Callum and swiftly fetched the ladder, working gloves and the shears and went about the pruning business.

Later that evening, the three sat at a roaring fire, drinking some mulled wine. Margareth and Vernon noticed that their young guest was very quiet and had this one-mile-stare. 'Is something bothering you, son?' asked the retired firefighter. 'Ah, it is nothing, Vernon. Rather silly, actually. Do you remember when I told you that I play hockey?' 'Of course I do. What about it?' 'Well, I am a little anxious where I will be drafted and where my journey will lead me. I do have a back up plan, so it is not existencial, but it is gnawing at me all the same. My dad was kind of a big name in the league and I do not know whether I will do his legacy justice.' Margareth chimed in: 'Listen young man. You are a good person with his heart on the right spot and a desire to help your fellow man and to do the right thing. No matter where you will go, the people in charge can consider themselves lucky to get you. And rest assured, even if you were not to play a single shift in the big league, Vernon and I are convinced that your dad is proud of you regardless.' 'Thanks, Margareth. This means a lot to me. You took some of my concerns away.' He turned his attention back to the fire, indulging in the crackling noises it makes and the smell of beech. His mind was at ease now and a smile sneaked onto his face. 

Edited by Daniel Janser