Wernher von Braun, Adi Dassler, and Hugo Boss

jRuutu

Lately, three promising players have entered the world of VHL.  What all three have in common is that they are from Germany, they share names that are fun to say out loud, but the names also carry a certain load.  

It is not a surprise these players have received extra attention from the VHL community. Some have wondered why the league has not forced the players to change their names or simply prevent them from playing in the league. Despite not being huge fans of the names, some have been more supportive as the league has gone to great lengths to make sure everybody is welcome to join.

I have not been in space, but I am wearing Adidas shorts, and I have Hugo Boss fragrance that I sometimes use,  just like many others - I am torn.  On one hand, I too would like the names to be changed as it is a bit too much to also have to look at these names on my screen, using the products is one thing, but somehow and in some weird way, seeing the names in VHL and in the index makes it more personal. When I stare at the names on my screen, I am somehow saying it's okay, by being silent I am supporting these names and what they represent.  So it feels like.

But on the other hand, I do not want to be known as the person who said "You are not welcome here" to someone. I like Adidas and Hugo Boss products, and one day I would like to visit space.  Maybe a happy compromise is that the names are changed and we all continue using the products as they are now - nice and useful things.