The Right Thing To Do

Will3

A tragic death has broken the hearts of ice hockey fans and players across the world. As we mourn this man gone far too soon, questions have risen over how to prevent a similar tragedy from ever occurring again. As both a professional hockey player and as an executive for a sporting goods supplier, these questions have borrowed their way into my recent thoughts. This is all my thoughts and enotions collected in word form on the right thing to do in response to this tragedy.

Back when I played cricket for my primary school, the coach of the team made an unofficial rule.  All batting helmets had to have neck guards. No helmet was acceptable if it didn't have that extra level of protection. No one forced him to do this, he just did it because he felt it was right and we all loved him for his care for us. Comparatively, the risk on hurting you neck in cricket is nothing to the risk in ice hockey. My mother asked Coach Will about those risk the first time I ever laced up skates and he told her the truth. While it is rare, it does happen. When the AIHLI started up, she bought me my first neck guard.  I have been wearing them ever since. This sport we all love can be cruel and chaotic. As often as it produces humorous, weird moments, it can hurt us in ways we can never see coming. And the hockey skate is not the only thing that can damage the neck or throat in this game. A puck or stick can be just as harmful in the right (or wrong) circumstance. We all have people who care about us. I am unsure if I would be able to face the loved ones of a player that died because of my equipment or actions. That is why I believe that all players should have some form of throat protection, for your loved ones and also for fellow players.

Some people will slander me as a vile opportunist, milking this tragedy for profit. And while the money has come in, it has never been about that for me. I started this entrepreneurial journey simply to make sure those who needed sporting gear might receive it. That has been the core principle behind all that I have done. And I am more than prepared to put my money where my mouth is. I will supply throats guards to any player in any league that ask for one. It doesn't matter to me if you're in the VHL, the SHL, the GOHL, or in any other league. If you feel the need for this protection and ask me for it, I will send it to you completely free of charge. This is all about empowering my fellow players to take their protection into their own hands. This is how we prevent further tragedy like this from ever happening again. It is simply the right thing to do.

Situations like this are very rare but not unheard of.  This situation was the most tragic outcome but injuries from skates happen regularly enough that we need to rethink the entire protective layer that players have.  With new technologies that exist it should be possible to create a significantly improved protective layer for all players that doesn't restrict their ability to play the game.  We also need to create a culture where player safety comes first, even above winning.  Great article, we need to have more and more conversations about making sports safe so that they can continue to be fun.  I give this article a 9/10.  Keep up the good work.