Jensen: A First-Person Reflection of My Career

Advantage

Viktor Jensen: A First Person’s Reflection of My Career So Far

Viktor Jensen here. It hasn’t been an easy start to my career, but I can honestly say that I wouldn’t change a single choice I ever made. Now, I am here to reflect on my career thus far and give you my thoughts on the beginning of the season for myself. 

Starting my career with Mississauga was honestly not the easiest start to my career. After a slow start with just 3 points in 16 games, I played horrible in my first ever playoff run and was booed off the ice after a late turnover cost the team a win.  But Houston was truly where I would find my footing.  It was such a fun year with a great group of guys and obviously my production was far better as I was able to fit in on a great team with some strong players.  While we ultimately didn’t reach our expected goal of doing more damage in the Founders Cup Playoffs, I can’t say enough about how that year helped me develop into the player that I have become today. 

Ultimately, after being selected 1st Overall by the Malmo Nighthawks, I chose to skip the VHLE and go straight to the VHL.  Part of me wonders if that was the best decision as playing a huge role on a VHLE team could have been really fun for one year, but ultimately I would play out a seventy-two game season in Malmo.  

My first season was challenging despite a decent start. I recorded 33 points in 72 games and was terrible in the defensive zone and the faceoff circle throughout the year, as the team struggled to reach the expectations they had going into the season. 

Last year though is where I felt I took a massive leap. I really worked hard on my skating, defensive play and my overall strength and I saw a pretty large impact on my performance.  42 assists and 60 points was really exciting considering this was my first chance to really adjust to my strengths and weaknesses at the highest level. I also felt I took strides in my own end, filling passing lanes more effectively and in the dot, where I won more than I lost over the course of the season. However, as a team we were definitely expecting to be a strong team, but fell short of the playoffs and sadly had to surrender up a top pick after we had moved it a couple seasons prior. 

Coming into this season, I was really hoping to take another step offensively and play effectively in every situation. We also really wanted to rebound and reach the playoffs at the bare minimum, but hopefully be good enough to make some noise. 

So far, I have recorded 5 goals and 11 points over 10 games but I feel like I have been fairly inconsistent in performance and effort over the course of the season so far.  I haven’t been nearly good enough and the whole team knows this already, but I am doing everything I can to improve on my own level of play so I can lead by example.