Recruitment -Theme Week

Scurvy

Recruitment Theme Week

Earlier this week I saw some posts about some passionate opinions on recruitment and what they thought worked, didn’t work, were upset about, and on and on.  I truly have never paid much attention to what the Recruitment team does to entice people to join this community, so I have nothing negative to say.  I am sure they are trying hard to bring people here and it can’t be easy sometimes as the league does have a learning curve and some new player’s expectations that its GM sim league or EASHL can turn off some niche players.  

For me, I was recruited off YouTube and that video forced me to search the website.  I signed up and looked through the forum with confusion and intrigue. I hovered over the “Create Player” link numerous times before I bit the bullet and made my first player, Defenseman Brian Payne.  

Now, for me I played hockey growing up and I do enjoy playing NHL on Xbox but have never ever participated in the Sim league, especially one that required earning points via Media spots, articles, graphics, or podcasts.   This is where I was so fortunate to pick a club in the VHLM with an active GM in @JB123.  I was soooooo confused on how to navigate the forum and update TPE and he walked me through and gave me a solid foundation on how to earn and become a stud.  I think this is where retention can be helped is simply by having someone at the beginning help new players who struggle with the earning and keep them motivated. 

After this initial early struggles I found my groove and really came to enjoy the VHL experience, especially the draft.  

I think this early experience sent me out to my friends and I recruited hard the people who I thought would enjoy the VHL world.   My first recruit Huge G Johnson languished in the VHLM and never really got the idea of how to earn or just didn’t want to earn TPE.  He played 216 games in Las Vegas and quit.

My next recruit Jake Thunder @Thunder is a lock for the hall of fame and really took to the VHL with fervor.  It was a lot of fun having a real life friend in the game as It added a bit of rivalry and fun shit talk in media spots, etc.  Personal life things have happened with Thunder where he has taken a step away from the VHL for now but I am hopeful he will be back.

My final recruit, Rip Wheeler @ScottyP is a bona-fide shit sack.  LOL.  Well not quite but he is no Jake Thunder.  I can’t wait for my new player to get to VHL so that I can hopefully fight him at some point. 

As for retention in my humble opinion I might suggest a mentorship program where veteran players help VHLM GMs assist new players and help them feel part of the community (this might already be a thing).  

For the recruitment side of the house I can’t speak to social media and what is best as I have don’t have Instagram, FB, or any of that shit.  I look at YouTube and it worked for me.  Word of mouth is how I recruit friends and I will continue to do so in the hopes I can find us another Jake Thunder.