Recreate Names I Won't Be Using

Gustav

Vandelay is gone after this season, and as of about ten minutes ago, I think I know what I'm going to name my next player. Those of you who know me know that my players' names are always in reference to something or other, though I like to keep them names that could conceivably be "real" and don't look too weird to anyone who doesn't understand the reference. So, I thought it would be fun to come up with some other names that fit into those categories and relate to some things I enjoy but that I might not necessarily use on a player myself.

Tony Gunk: I seriously considered this one for a while, more so than some others on this list. Impractical Jokers might be stupid jokes for stupid people, but it's also one of my favorite shows. This name is an alias used by Q, and I think it's fun enough but it also seems a bit "fake" for my taste. 

Maxwell Boltzmann: I thought about using this one too, but it's a bit nerdy and I think broadcasting one's own nerdiness only goes over well with other people who share that nerdiness and comes across as a bit annoying to those who don't. It's a really cool-sounding name if you don't know, but those who do might know the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution as something that will give you a lot of headaches if you take thermodynamics.

Rick Mitarotonda: who, in real life, plays guitar for the band Goose. I've already done the "name a player after a guitarist" thing once and don't think it's particularly creative to do so again. That said, I was at this show almost exactly a year ago and it was awesome.

Gary Bettman: you know who this is. I just think it would be kind of funny to write some stuff up about how he "knows what he's doing" and aims to prove it by beating the players at their own game. I don't think I'd post the necessary roleplay-type articles enough to make it work, though, because that's not really my style, and I don't want the meaning to my name to be universally known--because if you get it, you should at least be happy that you got it for a second.

I like names that reference something personal to you AND pass as "real" names.  Not a fan of just copying someone else's name directly though but obviously, you do you!

After seeing Magnus Chrona, the backup in San Jose, it made me question whether I would just steal a name lol Too cool of a name to pass up almost.

I also do not know what Art Vandelay was a reference to.

Edited by Triller

3 minutes ago, Triller said:

I also do not know what Art Vandelay was a reference to.

It's absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but if you've seen Seinfeld, it's a name that George comes up with multiple times throughout the show as a cover for doing something sketchy--sometimes he's going somewhere to see Art Vandelay, sometimes he's working for Vandelay Industries, sometimes he is Art Vandelay, and it's always funny.

I would also generally agree that just grabbing a name is a bit dumb, especially if it's a real person or someone more well-known (sometimes I cringe a little bit at Jerry Garcia), but I might cringe a bit harder at something that's based on a real name but doesn't really work. I've had other ideas in this vein that I'd be embarrassed to talk about. 

I think Taro (literally a fake hockey player) will always be my best player name ever and it is a case of just using something directly. I think Vandelay works as well because it's kinda-sorta just a name that exists already but not really. I once created a player named Cosmo Kramer (an actual Seinfeld character) in the EFL and was never really a fan of it. There is a bit of a line when using a name that already exists, and while it's thin, I think it does exist. I also think my idea stays on the right side of it, and I hope you'll agree when it comes up.

4 minutes ago, Gustav said:

It's absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but if you've seen Seinfeld, it's a name that George comes up with multiple times throughout the show as a cover for doing something sketchy--sometimes he's going somewhere to see Art Vandelay, sometimes he's working for Vandelay Industries, sometimes he is Art Vandelay, and it's always funny.

I would also generally agree that just grabbing a name is a bit dumb, especially if it's a real person or someone more well-known (sometimes I cringe a little bit at Jerry Garcia), but I might cringe a bit harder at something that's based on a real name but doesn't really work. I've had other ideas in this vein that I'd be embarrassed to talk about. 

I think Taro (literally a fake hockey player) will always be my best player name ever and it is a case of just using something directly. I think Vandelay works as well because it's kinda-sorta just a name that exists already but not really. I once created a player named Cosmo Kramer (an actual Seinfeld character) in the EFL and was never really a fan of it. There is a bit of a line when using a name that already exists, and while it's thin, I think it does exist. I also think my idea stays on the right side of it, and I hope you'll agree when it comes up.

Ahhh yes, Seinfeld!  Ok makes sense and I think that is where the line kinda is for me anyways.  It is a fake name already and isn't widely known.  A character name rather than a real name. 

Even though most of the world won't know, I like to have a name that lives solely in the VHL or is at least obscure enough that when it is said, my player is the only reference a member can think of.

I look forward to seeing your new player revealed!

I like Maxwell Boltzmann. The meaning is kinda on the nose, but I don't think thats a problem with this name. It's also cool af