Claimed:Interview with Bern's King(ma) [6/6]

Kingma

atswnc.jpg

BERN, SWITZERLAND

The Bern Royals battled hard over the past few weeks to stay in playoff contention. After trading away two of their super stars (Jody 3 Moons and Jaime Hill), some wondered if the remaining cast members could keep the Kingdom alive for the remainder of the season. The Royals finished 5th in the European Conference with the strong play of waiver claim and Season 41 VHLM/VHL prospect Kyle Kingma. We sat down with Kingma to discuss how he thought the season went and what the future has in store for him.

com_090929nhl_previewNash.jpg

Thank Kyle for agreeing to do this interview. You were an undrafted waiver claim by the Royals early on this season. Are you pleased with how your season started?

"Good morning! Yes, I am very pleased to have been claimed by the Royals. I was very excited about the possibility of playing alongside talented VHLMers like Jody 3 Moons and Jaime Hill. I came in pretty green and the speed of the game was tough for me. My first ten games or so were not pretty, I was taking a lot of penalties and had a pretty bad plus/minus rating. I was new, but I think I learned quickly as the season went on."

You sure did! Your play picked up as the season went on and scored a total of 46 points. Are you pleased with your point production this year?

"Actually it was 47 points in 48 games! Yeah, I'm happy with my production this year. I would have preferred to get that 1 PPG average but 0.98 PPG is not all that bad considering this is my first year. My scoring picked up after the trade deadline because it was really up to me Parks, Sammy, and Karl to do the heavy lifting. I'm not happy with my -6 rating but I was on the ice most of the game so that will happen."

With the playoffs about to start, can you give us any predictions?

"All I know is that I'm going to give my teammates everything I've got. It's a pretty tough road ahead to get to the Cup, but stranger things have happened. We recently picked up a new goalie off waivers, Klajums, and I'll tell ya, he's the first one at the rink in the morning and the last one out. He's working really hard and I wouldn't be surprised if he elevates us to that next level. I think we can make a respectable run, but having played with 3 Moons and Hill, they're fiercely competitive and I think the Watchmen and Storm are going to be strong contenders. This will be my first playoffs, so I'm just really happy to have this opportunity."

Nashsegment4.jpg

Alright, so this is your draft year, not only for the VHLM Dispersal but also the VHL Entry. Tell us your ideal draft day.

"Like I said, I'm very focused right now on doing what I can for my Royals in the upcoming playoffs. I'll worry about the drafts afterwards. What I will say is though that I'm a little upset about the outcome of the VHLM draft lottery. I'd really like to stay with the Royals next season but I've been told I'm a top 3 pick which means I'd likely go to Bratislava or Yukon. Don't get me wrong, these are great organizations, but if I had my way, I'd like to be a Royal next year as well."

576 words.

• Senior Admin

Content: 3/3

Great write-up on Kingma's initial season and his future in the VHLM. You've been awesome so far and I expect Kingma's production to increase and increase as you continue to earn TPE. Good luck in the playoffs and the future as you get drafted.

Grammar: 2/2

Thank = Thanks 

and scored = and you scored

Appearance: 1/1

Yep.

Overall: 6/6