Lattimer Media

pugsood

Steve Lattimer recaps his impressions and experiences from this past season, his first full time with the Toronto Legion. Interview conducted by Joel Smith Stevens, beat writer for the Toronto local newspaper. 

Smith: What was the locker room experience like for you this season?
Lattimer: It was awesome. I felt like people were active, and even though I wasn't as much, I was engaged on my own terms by my GM, coaches, and teammates. I was more proactive in this locker room than any previous ones I was in, and it was a reflection of the people up and down the roster and front office.

Smith: You made the playoffs for the first time in your career. How important or unimportant was that to you?
Lattimer: It meant everything to me. I was dying to make the playoffs, to be relevant in some way, shape or form in the postseason. It just means more, knowing you are going to be checking in day and day out to see how your team is performing and what, if anything, you did to contribute to your team's success during the most important time of year.

Smith: How would you evaluate your performance in the postseason?
Lattimer: Objectively I think I did pretty good based on the stats I put up, scoring goals, even a game winner which was a career first. But ultimately we squandered home ice advantage and the season ended with a sour taste in my mouth, so ultimately it's an F. I want a championship, and we came short of that goal, which means this is like a pass or fail, not a letter grade.

Smith: You just re signed with Toronto. Why did you do that?
Lattimer: It's really quite plain and simple. They wanted me back. They engaged me very early in the process to gauge how happy or unhappy I was playing in Toronto. I told them if they wanted me, they got me. I'm committed. I feel an emotional connection to this team, this franchise, this town. I want to be a part of history if we can climb the mountain top this upcoming season. I think we have all the pieces to do so. And at the end of the day, it's not purely just about winning and losing. I want to win with the right guys, guys i care about, a franchise I care about. I'm not a mercenary. The sweet taste of victory is that much sweeter when you're winning with guys you truly enjoy. That's how I'm built.

Smith: How much longer are you going to play?
Lattimer: I don't really know how regression works in this league but I imagine it's coming for me soon. I think I'll play for as long as I'm a starting caliber player for Toronto and or whoever wants to have me on their team. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'll have interest if I'm not on a competitive team and able to hold my own, if that makes sense.