Reflecting on Joining the VHL.

Misty

Looking back at my first time scrolling the VHL forums, before I created an account, made a player, and learned the ropes, some I have yet to learn. As someone who struggles with Anxiety, pushing myself to say “fuck it” and go for it came with a lot of hesitance, but in the end, it was so worthwhile. The community is so welcoming, the people here are so kind, I have yet to interact with someone who even comes close to rubbing me the wrong way. All and all it’s been a good experience so far. 

My player, Oliver Loo, a name I just slapped together is a player or rather character that I didn’t think I’d be putting so much effort and creativity into although my writing is not the best, needing to be improved upon and I don’t exactly have the means to make graphics. I originally made him just to test the waters, and see if I like how the VHL works under the surface that is the forums. Within the Discord servers, the people and such. It’s a lot more laid back than what I first thought, it’s enjoyable. I like pretty much ever aspect that I have discovered so far and can see myself sticking around. Hell, I even already have plans for my next player and this one isn’t even close to done yet.

230 words

great read, misty! i definitely have a lot of the same opinions as you when i first joined the league in 2022, now with a player who is about to retire next season. anxiety was also one of the things holding me back before i also decided to full send it and join. can definitely attest to the fact that the people in the league are wonderful! i've made some great friends and it's great that we can all bond over a shared love of hockey! hope to see you stick around. :cheers:

I wouldn’t say I was ever scared or anything, but I’d never posted anything anywhere on the Internet, much less joined a community, when I joined the VHL. Flash forward 5 years, and…well, one could say that’s changed. Even flashing forward a month I knew I had nothing to worry about. 

I’ve liked people to varying extents in my time in the league, but could count on one hand the number of times I’ve had a real issue with anyone. And that’s after interacting with hundreds—that’s a great success rate considering real life numbers. I even have my issues with league administration but can confidently say that everyone here wants everyone else to feel welcome. Thankfully, you climb the ladder in this league partly by being a good person, and I’m glad you’ve felt that. 

I am glad you like it here and I concur with your assessment. When I joined the league I was half expecting it to be one of the many projects that I join with enthusiasm but will fizzle out. Now one HOF career of max earning later, I am already thinking about the player after this one.