Call for Proposals: London United Re(location?, brand?)

If you look at the VHL Teams page, you see a lot of really wonderfully crafted teams, brands and logos. Most of them are even conveniently similarly styled, with distinct black outlines and white highlighted shading. There’s a few with more matte finishes, but I can understand a couple classes of logos. There is however a logo that is unlike any other, with a weak brand, and weak connection to the geographic location, and a complete lack of intimidation.

In case you haven’t put it together yet, I’m talking about the London United. A busy, yet equally flat logo, with at least 6 noticeable, yet awkwardly laid out elements. Text so small I often forget it is there at all. Small detailing but no edgework, highlighting or depth. A complete opposite design philosophy to any of the other logos across any of the 3 leagues. The brand is essentially just “New York Americans but make it British I guess”, sharing nearly identical colours, naming and it looks like even font. All that is missing is some big-ass guns on the Americans logo and I think we’d be at the same spot. I think New York also has a pretty weak name, so doubling down here on the “Name a city in the country and then use a word from the country name” is pretty disappointing. I can live with one weak brand here, so I’ll get rid of the bigger evil.

So lets try to come up with something better here. We’re looking for a clever connection to an intimidating beast, faction or perhaps even emotion? We’re looking for an inspiring geographic location with a rich history of good vibes and general scrappiness. I’d love an alliteration, but that’s probably just me.

We have seen some ideas already, notably @aimkin's Scotland Nessies, which I love, but I’ll leave them to promote their idea this Theme Week, and I’ll come from a different direction, for Forum Content.

Behold the power of AI Art (and a lack of patience on my part to wait for it to make anything better), and the power of the Dublin Druids!

fbtqecd8jqsi67nieofv.png?ex=66268732&is=66141232&hm=3ac00279683315f99666e5f413a2002605b17a8e4af8fe0f329b0c897a88eed9&

This team hearkens back to a rich history of Celtic, and specifically Gaelic culture. The Druids are a mysterious, and often sinister class of religious leaders, referenced to as practitioners of human sacrifice by the Greeks and Romans.

Turn those walking sticks into some wonderful knotted hockey sticks, a beautiful (and unique!) green, orange and white colour scheme, and take to the ice!

Seriously though, London needs a fresh coat of paint regardless, and I endorse most cases of getting them some freshening up. Explore Scotland, Ireland, Wales, heck even somewhere else in Western Europe! Something that isn’t the second version of an existing team, with some comparable logo design would be wonderful, and I would greatly appreciate it! Tag me in all of your creations and lets see what we can do! I’m sure some other BOG members would agree it’s about time here for a new logo at least, if not a full relocation.