Two London United Rebrand Options

ace_five_

For the rebrand theme this season I have decided to focus on the London United. I have a couple of ideas because “United” to me is kind of a boring name. One idea I have will probably be a little controversial, while the other is a safer choice, if not a little boring. 

1. London Conquerers

Is this a little insensitive? Yes. Is it unique to the league? Also yes. I wanted to think of something a little different than some colour changes or a bit of a different logo for this one. The Conquerers will definitely have people talking about them, and bad publicity is still publicity.

Taking its name from its country’s history, the Conquerers look at intimidation as its core team value. Rebranding from the United to the Conquerers also shows the intent of the team moving forward, take over the league. While the team has been able to keep pace with the other top teams in the regular season in recent seasons, the coveted Continental Cup has eluded them for a while now. This rebrand looks to instil a sense of confidence into the team through manifestation. 

To make the full rebrand a reality, a completely fresh logo would have to be created, as well as a change of some team colours. As for the colours, they can mostly stay the same, keeping the red and blue from the iconic Union Jack. Maybe adding silver to the mix will make those colours pop a little more while also separating the team's light jerseys from the usual white. In order to not make the logo overcomplicated or too busy, my thoughts would be to stay away from something like a rearing horse or likenesses of historic figures. Perhaps something along the lines of a flag held by a gauntleted hand, or a crown sporting a Union Jack. Something that will portray the goal of intimidation but still be simple and easy to read. 

Overall, the goal of a rebrand like this would be to create a new team philosophy and also stir up some buzz surrounding the team. Hopefully, the kind of media this would attract would also attract stars to the team to bring it another championship. 

2. London Royals

Like I said earlier, this one is more of the safer pick. It still focuses on the city’s, and country’s, history with the monarchy. It builds on the same sort of confidence without some of the arrogance. This rebrand would completely overhaul the team's colours as well as the logo to shed its previous identity. 

The Royals’ primary colour would either be a royal blue or a deep purple. To not step on the toes of the other teams in the league that sport a similar colour, London would heavily feature their secondary colour as well, Gold. Gold stitching, outlines, and anything that will make their primary colour pop while also giving a sense of worth. The logo would have to feature a crown, most likely on its own (much like the LA Kings). While Moscow and Riga both have crowns in their logo, the Royals would make that the focal point to accentuate their implied status. 

The goal for a rebrand of this nature is to forget about the team’s past woes and focus on the future of the franchise, Royalty. This would help show the big names that this is the place to be if you want to be crowned Continental Cup Champions.

(577 words)

Not a bad idea. We had a VHLM franchise called the Bern Royals (now the Las Vegas Aces). Which is ironic, as Switzerland has a history of shoo-ing royals out of its country ;). I may have chosen 'London Monarchs' instead in remembrance of the inaugural winner of the World Bowl of the same name.