Rambling about Understanding Depreciation

AJW

Posted (edited)

Hey VHL, haven’t wrote a .com in a while and you better bet I’m doing it on my phone at 7 this morning! @mattyIceman called me out last night but I was already sleeping and missed the smoke sesh. I had to get him back with a morning bird this morning, so here I am now yapping.

I’ve only been awake for an hour to put this into context. Since my eyes opened I’ve been scrolling around the VHL catching up on trades and especially just recently the big load of dirt called depreciation dumped onto my player. Think about being a respected player in your career, you’re nearing the end where you feel the most comfortable and confident, then you get whacked in knee and need surgery. That’s how this season of depreciation feels. Myself, @Alex and @v.2 have been top 3 in the S87 class for some time now and I am starting to really realize how much depreciation can hurt your feelings. Now when referencing to me and Alex getting some knee chop surgeries this off-season, v.2 got put in a coma and came out concussed. I did notice Alex got hit with a lot less depreciation than v.2, Alex’s bank holds 250ish more TPE than v.2’s, and Alex bought the Jagr where v.2 did not. This is something I should really consider and remember for my next player entering the later seasons.

I pushed a little more out of my bank last season than planned in hopes of a Calgary push to the playoffs. Womp womp, we missed, now I deal with a TPA build this season of about 100 less than last. Also I didn’t even give any numbers. So my player is now going into their 8th season, with an Old but not Forgotten depreciation fighter. I got hit with -218 TPE for depreciation, Alex got -222, v.2 got -345. Going into season number 9 next off-season with no help but maybe a Jagr… Bobandy, McFleury and Atlas are all going to get a full loaded knuckle sandwich of Depreciation I am guessing.

Edited by AJW

5 hours ago, AJW said:

This is something I should really consider and remember for my next player entering the later seasons.

Imo depreciation advice and planning is one of the most underrated pieces of advice a VHL GM can offer. I don't think I'm very pro-active about this so not praising myself in any way here. I think players can have a much better time towards the end of their career if a GM sits down with a player a season before their first hit and lets them know what to expect and how to prepare for it. It really makes a world of difference and too many people just sit on their contract money forever with no fighters or Jagr purchases.