Interstellar

Interesting movie with amazing concepts and great acting, spoiled by script-writing laziness. Should have been better.

That's what Nolan does. He's pretty overt about it too. There's a scene in Inception where he expressly tells everyone what he does with his scripts. 

Yeah there might have been a few clichés but that's true about any movie. Name me one movie that doesn't have at least a little bit of nonsensical or lazy scriptwriting. Even the greatest movies of all time have scenes that don't make sense, or gaping plot holes. 

Even the greatest movies of all time have scenes that don't make sense, or gaping plot holes. 

This is such a sticky argument, because we're trying to decide what is "greatest" and what makes sense. The Godfather: Part 1 is often heralded as the greatest film of all time, and that film has nothing in it that I can remember annoying me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark has a lot of silliness, but it's also a campy adventure romp, so the silliness made sense and also didn't bother me. 

Interstellar is a very serious movie with very serious concepts in a very gritty world... and then very stupid things happen that are just lazy scriptwriting.  People die in horrendously cliched and preventable ways, in a film that is asking me to take it very seriously. So I took it seriously and went, "Jonathan Nolan, you seriously could have written a better scene." They focused on really big ideas, and those ideas were PHENOMENALLY executed. But they skimped out on a lot of things that could have improved it. 

Tighter scenes, better motivations, and less frustrating music choices would have improved the film. These are all simply my opinions, so they're not some gospel truth, but I truly didn't like Interstellar as a film. I did love it as an idea. 

Edited by pxzero