Rave Regressing in Year Three

Third-year Malmo forward Phillip Rave has spent most of the season alongside Malmo's big off-season acquisition, Randy Bobandy, but his production has tailed off. Rave started the year hot with 7 goals in his first 8 games, but has endured several multi-game point droughts since and has fallen below a PPG on the season.

In S93, Rave had a breakout season in which he finished near the top of the entire VHL in +/- with +47 and was second on the Nighthawks in goals (34) and points (81). Rave does lead the Nighthawks with 22 goals in S94, but he has just 40 points on the season - on pace for just 65, a significant drop-off from S93. He's also only on pace for 322 shots a season after putting the puck on net 442 times.

"I'm not really sure what it is, especially playing with Randy who's just such a good passer, you figure that would help create more opportunities. I'm just kinda fighting it a bit right now, maybe trying to do a little too much. But you know, I recognize there's room for improvement in my game but at the end of the day what matters is that the guys are going out there and getting the job done," says Rave. "10 points or 100 points doesn't matter to me if we're winning games and... right now, we're up there top of the European Conference again, in the mix at the top of the league, that's where you want to be, right? So it's no big deal. I'm cognizant of what I need to do better out there and we're working on it and you know what, I think I'll figure it out before it becomes something that starts hurting the team too much."

Malmo's offense could certainly use the boost - with 147 goals for, they are significantly back of Toronto and Seattle's league-best offenses (173 and 172 goals for), ranked sixth in the VHL overall but closer to tenth place (142) than fifth (157). Fortunately, with Ash Sparks second in the league in SV% among full-time starters and a deep defensive unit, the Nighthawks have done a great job keeping the puck out of their own net.

So, in summary, Malmo is winning low scoring games.

Interesting.  I'm sure things will pick up, because simon the sadist is always in flux.

Mid season slump 🤷‍♂️ Randy knows that the season is long and the only points that matter are the ones in playoffs. If Rave wants to stop down at Randy’s apartment for a beer and a smoke later, please feel free!