Jeff Lewis - one more lucky break for Euron "Bill Clinton of VHL" Leonidas

jRuutu

Euron "Bill Clinton of VHL" Leonidas, much like his spiritual idol Bill Clinton, Euron also asked someone to do them a favor under the table. This time around, the favor resulted in Jeff Lewis retiring early. The retirement was a surprise at the time as Lewis is a top-level player with at least a couple of good seasons left in their career, the ongoing playoffs also show Lewis has a lot to give as he has been the second-best scorer for Moscow with 14 points in 8 games. What happened exactly is up in the air, whatever evidence we may have is circumstantial at best. What we do know is that after the season is over Lewis will be gone and Moscow gets much-needed cap space. It all seems just too good to be true, how can one GM and organization get lucky break after lucky break? Numerous favorable trades, picking first and second overall in the draft despite playing solid hockey, and now the early retirement of Lewis. Sources close to Moscow report that the atmosphere around the team is intense, fear floats in the air like the fog on a summer morning. Everybody is wondering what is going to happen next.

One of the players in the danger zone is Finnish center Jarmo Ruutu, he is one of two players without a contract for next season. Richmond is the other player in the team without a contract for next season, but with Ruutu having two seasons less to play than Richmond it is fair to speculate whether Ruutu could be the Lewis of next season. After the retirement of Lewis surfaced Moscow as a team started to play better and better, playoffs have been perhaps the best hockey Moscow has played all season long. Every player fears they will be "Lewised" and forced to retire if Euron "Bill Clinton of VHL" Leonidas decides it must happen.  Every player tries harder than ever before in the practice and in the games. Since Lewis is retiring Moscow has a better chance to keep the roster together, but the question now remains does Ruutu sign a new contract with Moscow just to be "Lewised" to inspire the team near the trade deadline next season?

If and when Moscow continues to play as they have, Moscow will win the championship. That will add another interesting twist to the whole "Ruutu case" as being part of a championship-winning team would almost certainly be too hard to turn down for an aging player without any championships so far, even if on the flip side Ruutu will be almost certainly the top candidate to be "Lewised" next season. Ruutu himself has remained quiet about his future. After Game Four against London Ruutu gave the following comment when leaving the arena: " I am just lucky to be alive, I want to thank God for looking after me and giving me this opportunity to be alive and to see this day. If God allows it, and I hope they do, I will see another day."