Around the League

Scurvy

Another week has passed, and I find myself sitting firmly in the dreaded off-season with a huge case of the off-season blues.  However, there is still a lot of happenings in the VHL/E/M to chat about.  The playoffs are in full swing and some surprising advances in the VHL happened.  So for this weeks Around the League Iguess I’ll chat about playoffs and any other random stuff that catches my eye. 

MOSCOW SURGING
Now, If I had to pick a city that I would least like to visit, Moscow would probably make the list.  However, in the VHL, they are a damn great hockey team.  I picked Moscow early to be a favorite in the EU and was sorely disappointed in the regular season performance.  I felt all season long they were playing way below their level.  They could score with the best of teams but seemed to struggle shutting other teams down.  They ended up in the #5 spot to play in the last spot for Wildcard against a defensively sound Warsaw team.  

Despite losing their first game to Warsaw they came back and dominated, scoring in bunches to defeat the Preds 3 games to 1. After this, they were set to play the formidable and the best team in the EU, London United.  I would have never guessed this outcome, but Moscow DOMINATED and swept them in 4 straight.  Even better, Moscow’s defense looked amazing shutting down London’s fierce scoring attack.  

Now Moscow is facing off against Riga, another team that is dangerous.  They find themselves down 3-2 in the series so plan for a massive battle tonight in Riga that could decide the EU.  Anyway, super impressive to see Moscow play to their level and wish them the best of luck tonight.

CAN TORONTO BE STOPPED?

The Toronto Legion have begun the playoffs with a resounding message.  After sweeping the Vancouver Wolves, (three shutouts) they entered the next round against Seattle and seemed to disassemble a very tough club easily, winning 4 games to 1. 

Led by a star studded front line on offense with Harry Callahan @dstevensonjr (9g 6a-15pts), Mac Atlas @v.2 (6g 9a 15pts), and Diego Machado @Dadam30(3g 9a 12pts) its seems that no team has an answer to stop these beasts.  Even more troubling for opposing foes is their defense can kill you offensively as well with Bobby Bob @Baby Boomer (0g-11a) and Walter Fitzroy Jr @Moon (4g 8a 12pts).  

But the true MVP of this team has to their goalie Joel Castle @animal74.  Castle is 8-1 this playoff with an outstanding 1.78 GAA, .943 Save %, and 4, YES 4 shutouts!  This dude is in a zone and is leading his team to a final’s appearance. 

Now they sit and wait for the winner of Moscow and Riga which could be settled today if Riga wins.  Either way, if Riga or Moscow wins the EU series they will have a huge mountain to climb in beating Toronto and their red hot goalie Joel Castle.