Five most important rookies in the S95 playoffs

scoop

With a third of the regular season still to go, there is plenty of time left before the playoffs begin. I am going to look ahead to the post-season for my theme week article anyway, as I take a look at the first year players featured on playoff rosters. Obviously the playoff teams are not set, but realistically the only thing that could change is New York taking a spot, but that does not matter because neither of their rookies would make this list anyway. That being said, let's get to what this list is about. I'm going to highlight who I believe can be the most impactful rookies in the playoffs. This is not strictly a ranking of the best rookies; I will also be taking into consideration how important these rookies are to their respective teams.

5. G Jørgen Løvstrøm, Malmo Nighthawks @Pifferfish

Taking the fifth spot is Jørgen Løvstrøm of the Nighthawks, who is part of a goalie tandem along side Karl Herzlich. Given the situation, it's hard to put Løvstrøm higher on the list. It is not even guaranteed that he gets any starts in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how Malmo manages the goaltender question during the playoffs, but if we look at the recent play, Løvstrøm could very well be on his way to earning the starting job for the post-season. Herzlich started the season stronger, but has seen his numbers drop. Løvstrøm meanwhile has improved since his early struggles to the point where the two have very similar stats.

4. LW Maverick Goncalves, Moscow Menace @leandrofg

The Season 94 first overall pick Maverick Goncalves is next on the list, and as probably the best rookie in the league, you may think this is too low. Had Moscow not just acquired Snu.bbed Analfist, Goncalves may have been higher on the list. It's not that I think his output will decrease, but I think the team will not rely on him as much. Undoubtedly he is still important to the team. He leads the team in hits and is third in goals, but with Analfist now around, I think Moscow could survive even if Goncalves struggles. He is good, but there are four other forwards on the roster who are noticeably more skilled players at the moment.

3. D Jillian Woods, Moscow Menace @jacobcarson877

Even if Goncalves is a better player than Jillian Woods (which is a debate in itself), I do believe that Woods is more important for Moscow right now. Goncalves will have his time to shine in the future, but there will be a spotlight on Woods in the playoffs. However, this placing is less about the contributions that Woods could make, but rather the negative impact that a poor performance from her could have. She is Moscow's second-best defender, so they will need her to play well when Obuz Schneider Canet du Bocage is resting. As a true defender, her contributions are not as evident, but that does not mean they are not important.

2. D Felicia Hardy, HC Davos Dynamo @JCarson

It can be easy to forget, but the European playoffs are not just Riga, Malmo, and Moscow. The Dynamo will be there, and they will have just as much of an opportunity to win as any of the three teams above them. For that to happen, though, they will need some players to step up. Felicia Hardy will have every opportunity to be on of those players to lead the team. She is similar to Woods in that she is not going to carry the team offensively, but with her defense and physical play, she could potentially shut down opposing offenses.

1. G Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen, HC Davos Dynamo @Snussu

Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen is one of several rookie goalies this season, but most of them will not be playing in the playoffs. Unlike Malmo with Løvstrøm and Herzlich, Davos does not have a second goalie on the roster to limit Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen's importance to the team. He is their starter, no question, and the team will rely on him in the playoffs. His stats in his first year can give fans hope for the playoffs, but the playoffs will be a different beast. The Dynamo have been one of the best defensive teams because of, not in spite of AKK. For them to succeed in the playoffs, they will need him to rise to the occasion against the powerhouse offenses of the European Conference.