Trade deadline thoughts

Victor

• Admin

Elgar Trade Voided

It's quite rare to see a trade voided for reasons of competitive balance but this one does seem clear-cut enough. Admittedly I may not be best placed to comment as I didn't even know Elgar was a goalie when I saw the trade but upon further research it does seem to be pretty blatant tanking. Toronto are top of the conference despite having a slightly better, and younger, goalie than Elgar and Bobbly is outperforming Elgar in the sim as well, so there can be no claim of better build for Elgar. The only team which would have benefited here is London seeking to halve the quality of their goalie in the hopes of finishing below D.C. and Prague. Well voided.

New York Firesale

Something wasn't clicking for the Americans (story of the last 40 seasons), probably the fact that the team was unbalanced in favour of high earning defencemen rather than prolific forwards. Even with that in mind, you'd expect a bit more luck to go your way and that wasn't forthcoming, so the decision to sell seems the sensible one. Form has already picked up for New York despite losing most of their best forwards, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them sneak into the playoffs now – but expecting a deep run would have been foolish so pulling the plug was the right choice.