Claimed:Stark turning heads in Davos

scotty

Stark turning heads in Davos

DAVOS, SWI. – Being a rookie is being part of the norm with this year’s edition of the HC Davos Dynamo. The storied franchise is in the midst of a rebuild and with five rookies cracking the team’s roster, there are high hopes for what’s in store down the road. Despite the youthful roster, the team has been a pleasant surprise this season; currently sitting in sole position of second place in the VHL’s European Conference.

One of the rookies leading the way is Dusseldorf native Tony Stark, a 6-foot-1, 203 pound winger who is an impressive looking offensive minded forward. Big things were expected from Stark this season after the Dynamo scooped the German up with the fourth overall pick in the S35 VHL Entry Draft. After bursting onto the scene with the Yukon Rush a season ago, Stark quickly went from prospect unknown to blue-chip prospect as he torched the VHLM for 42 goals and 95 points.

Stark had already firmly solidified his spot in round one by the end of the VHLM’s regular season, but there was more in store en route to the Rush’s Founder’s Cup Championship last season. Stark went on to lead the team with 13 goals and 17 points in only 11 games played while firing a ridiculous 109 shots on goal during that stretch.

Los-Angeles-Kings-celebra-006.jpg

Stark has already been an offensive contributor for the Dynamo this season.

A player who had once been looked at as an average skating winger had all of the sudden materialized into a can’t miss prospect. And it hasn’t stopped there.

After getting his feet wet early, Stark is already contributing with Davos as one of the team’s top six forwards. While his 16 points in 23 games aren’t earth shattering, the team has seen more and more consistency from Stark over the team’s past several games.

Davos GM Victor Alfredsson said he’s quite pleased with the development of the team’s fourth overall pick thus far, and expects the progression to continue this season.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys up front and we feel they can all contribute this season and help make this team a playoff contender,” Alfredsson said. “Stark is right there with any rookie in this league. You really don’t get an appreciation of how good he is until you have a chance to see him on a daily basis. The little things he does, his vision, we really feel this guy is going to be a star in this league sooner than later.”

It’s a glowing report for the 19-year-old Stark, and it’s adding to a growing reputation around the league; one that his teammates see as well.

“The kid is working really hard to get better, every day he’s here early and one of the last guys out, he really wants to be an impact player here,” forward Thomas Landry said. “It’s been nice to have some of these fresh faces here, they’ve really raised the intensity level and their passion for the game is refreshing. It’s really helped our team take the next step this year.”

Despite all the praise, Stark says he’s still focused on doing the little things and isn’t about to get wound up buying into all of the talk.

“I learned a long time ago that talk is cheap. Its cliché, but it’s true,” Stark said. “In this game, it’s about what you do on the ice. I like where my game is going, but there’s still a lot of work that needs to be done yet. I’m going to continue to work hard and hopefully keep showing coach that I can be a guy he can rely on in all situations.”

Nearly a third of the way into the season, Stark’s story is similar to many other VHL rookies this season, and like his fellow peers, VHL fans can expect to see many of these players make considerable impacts as the season progresses. 

Edited by scotty

Content: 3/3 - One of my favourite draft picks for the Rush, I'm glad he's finally getting the recognition he deserves (you were pretty good too I guess). When all the mocks predicted he'd go to Davos, and then when it actually happened and he got drafted there, I was really happy, since Davos is my (second) favourite team. I definitely see a great career for him going forward.

Grammar: 2/2 - Just one

all of the sudden - all of a sudden

One tiny thing that isn't wrong but sounds awkward: 'sooner than later' flows more naturally if it's written as 'sooner rather than later', at least in this case.

Appearance: 1/1 - Professional looking, as always.

Total: 6/6

Content: 3/3 - Stark was one of the most talked about prospects heading into the draft and has lived up to the hype so far for sure. Davos is certianly lucky to have him as well as the rest of that solid crop of prospects. 

Grammar: 2/2 - HYPHEN OVERALL PICKS AHHH

fourth overall pick -> fourth-overall pick (x2)

Appearance: 1/1 - News quality

Overall: 6/6

FINAL: 6/6

• 1 month later...