Wingate helplessly ends season

CowboyinAmerica

main_logo.png

Turku, Finland (AP) -- Things were going so well for the Turku Outlaws of the VHLM. Up 3-2 in the European Conference finals against the Bratislava Watchmen, the streaking team only needed one win to reach the VHLM Finals against a similarly tough Yukon Rush team. Having beaten Bratislava three times, however, the Outlaws felt confident that this would be their year.

You know what happened next.

Following strong performances by Jax Barnstormer and a complete collapse of the Turku offense, Bratislava moved on to face Yukon in the VHLM Finals. There, with Bratislava now up 3-1 in the series, one of the former VHLM expansion teams will win yet another championship. And the Turku Outlaws, which have not won a title since they were known as the Kolari Panthers in Season 30, are left begging once again.

Through it all, Wingate stayed on the bench, but he was more than outspoken following the loss. "Of course it's disappointing," Wingate told reporters. "Next season is going to be my stats-filled season in the VHLM, but all I wanted this year is to win. It's tough to go in with that as the only goal and still lose. This may take a while to get over."

Next up for Wingate will be the VHLM Draft and possibly a bid for a Super Cup position, but before that, he has a little time off while the Finals finish up. Wingate expects to use that time to freshen up and prepare a strong run to the S43 VHL Draft, where he hopes to be one of the top players off the board.

Thanks for being such a trooper about the whole ordeal. I was thrilled to get you and had big plans for you, but then we ended up getting Sinclair as well. I just hope that I got you enough starts to make the season worth it for you.