Claimed:Francis York Morgan's Coffee - First Day of Combine [Final 6/6]

Christmas

morganscoffee_zps1d34e332.png

After being selected to join other prospects in a VHLM combine, I was quite nervous. If you read the previous edition of this program, you are already aware of the fact I have not played in a competitive league with actual coaches and systems. Upon receiving the itinerary for the combine it was once again made apparent to me that I was in a league far beyond anythiing I have been a part of yet. First item on the agenda: arrive at the Calgary Saddledome (The Calgary Wrangler's practice facility) at 6:00 A.M. An early arrival? Quite the start to a day, considering my career always started some time between 8:00-10:00 P.M. and I was used to sleeping until noon at the earliest. I had a few days to mentally prepare myself and prepare all of my things for the trip to Calgary (thankfully not short), and after those few days and a short flight I was in Calgary ready to participate in the Combine.

6:00 to 9:00 A.M. - Sign-in and Off-Ice: Here all the potential prospects were required to sign in at the front desk, have measurements and photographs taken, and fill out a few forms to absolve the arena and the VHL of any and all damages that may be incurred during the combine. Walking around I saw muscular players who seems to be much more comfortable than myself, and I could not bring myself to talk to anyone for fear of humiliating myself. We were then given jerseys, socks, and exercising outfits that we were told we would utilize for the remainder of the combine. I was given a black jersey with "S42" on the front, and number 43 on the back. Again I had to fill out a form explaining that the jersey and socks were property of the combine and had to be returned following the end of the week. We warmuped up, and participated in off-ice exercises, such as using the treadmill and plyometric exercises. They also took measurements, which worried me at the start.

To be frank, I was out of shape and a step behind everyone. If I looked back, I was probably dead last in every single category, except maybe the arm strength exercises, but only because of my experience shoveling snow on the frozen ponds, where I played every single day. We were given a short break, and had to suit up for the on-ice exercises.

1297488965973_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

10:00 to 11:45 A.M. - On-Ice Practice #1: I was outclassed in every facet of the game. Even though I drank coffee prior to the practice, it was not enough for me to compete.

12:00 to 1:00 P.M. - Lunch: Lunch was uneventful as I sat with other prospects who I cannot name. Most talked about the off-ice stuff and how they did in the first on-ice practice. I didn't join in the conversation as I was too enthralled by the discussion.

1:00 to 3:00 P.M. - On-Ice Practice #2: I was surprised that I was able to compete in the second practice, as I assumed that my assumed lack of conditioning would be the end of me. I was complimented by a couple players for my passing ability, and at the end of the final portion of the combine I was able to hold my head up high and be happy I survived with someone taking notice.

All in all, the combine was what I expected it to be. I didn't know a single person as my only experience with hockey was with a bunch of beer leaguers. I was out of shape compared to other players who were training for this their entire lives, and I looked woefully out of place. On the ice, I was a nightmare, looking like I didn't belong, up until the second practice, where I played much better than before.

For now, I will have to prepare for the next portion of the combine, and hope that my abilities off the ice will overshadow my lack of ability on the ice. Until then, I will drink my coffee and see what my future has in store for me.

Content: 3/3 - Way over the word mark, so it's good there. Interesting article as well, coffee man.

Grammar: 2/2 - Nothing too serious.

"aware of the fact I have not played" - the fact THAT I have not played

"muscular players who seems to be much more" - who SEEMED to be much more

"We warmuped up" - we WARMED up

Appearance: 1/1 - Everything looks good.

Overall: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...