An Unexpected Reward

rum_ham

120622_JacobTroubaDraft644.jpg

Patrick Demko upon being drafted 4th overall by the Helsinki Titans.

Patrick Demko heard his name much earlier than he expected in this year's VHL Entry Draft. Many of the mock drafts and the speculation circling around was that Demko would be taken by the end of round 1, but the Helsinki Titans decided that letting him slip away was not an option.

"I definitely knew it was a possibility," said Demko when asked if he thought he would get picked by the Titans."They expressed interest in me, and I personally thought it would be a great place to play, but I really didn't expect them to use their 4th on me."

Although the pick was unexpected, Demko does feel that he has the will and the talent to be a 4th overall pick.

"I think a lot of people didn't expect this because of how quiet I was during the season, both on and off the ice," said Demko. "I think it's just tough to judge defensive capability, but I'm glad the Titans saw something in me."

Now that the dust has settled from the excitement of the draft, and important decision has to be made by Patrick. Will he go back to the VHLM or display his ambition by jumping straight to the VHL next season?

"I, personally think it would be best for my development and the stability of the team if I stayed down at least one more year," said Demko. "I just joined the Storm in the off-season, and I want to do my best to create success for my teammates there and develop to the best of my ability along the way."