Wins upcoming for Calgary?

calgary-sun-logo.gif

Although rookie goaltender Hans Wingate has personally had a strong start for the Calgary Wranglers, sitting third among qualified goaltenders with a .922 save percentage, there remains one key part of the stat sheet that he hasn't yet been able to fill up: wins. In 10 games, Wingate has just 2 wins, and Calgary's 5 points have them last in the standings.

"Of course I'd like to win a few more games; it just feels good," Wingate says. "I know this is a rebuilding year for us, but that doesn't mean I'm going to play my heart out every night."

However, could the Wranglers' fortunes soon change? The team plays Helsinki in each of its next two games, and after trading Mike Szatkowski Jr., the Titans could be reeling. Then, the Wranglers play two games against Seattle, which would seem like a bad time on its face. However, Calgary has played Seattle close in two games this season, losing just 3-1 and then 2-1 in a shootout.

We'll know soon enough whether Calgary can climb out of the cellar, but the prospect has him excited. "We have some kick ass players on this team; I know we'll turn it around," Wingate says. "It's just a matter of when."