Claimed:Slaughter, Wahl Win Fifth Victory Cup [Final 6/6]

sterling

Slaughter and Wahl Win Fifth Victory Cup in Seven Seasons

Two of the three last remaining key pieces of the New York Americans dynasty of the past several seasons have moved on to secure another Victory Cup in their new home. The Stockholm Vikings made the blockbuster trade in the Season 43 off-season hoping it would lead them straight to a Victory and Continental Cup and so far the former American players have pulled through helping the Vikings secure the first Victory Cup for the franchise since it moved from Vasteras. In the trade, the Vikings got Jody 3 Moons, Tom Slaughter and goalie Brick Wahl, all of whom played key roles in the season for the Vikings.

The Vikings were down against the Cologne Express for most of the season after they started off slowly, but they gelled a great deal as a team as the season wore on. The younger and deeper Vikings proved too much for the Express over the course of 72 games as they edged them out by a single point to wrestle the Victory Cup and a first round playoff bye away. Earlier in the season, Express General Manager Denise Power insisted the Express would win the Victory Cup as he thought they had enough of a lead (6 points less than half way through the season) to stave the Vikings off. Unfortunately for Power, he traded for the scrub Xiao instead of the real talented Wahl and Slaughter.

"Never count us out, we bring a lot of championship experience and we don't quit until the dust settles. That's why we were successful in New York, we didn't take anything for granted. Mind you,me got a few lucky bounces with the Express losing out the last two games, but if they want to give us an opportunity, we will gladly take it. I'll enjoy the first round playoff bye while Davos and Cologne assault one another. I think we've got the best team in the league this season and now the point where we have to prove that has come. I'm excited to get started again for the sixth season in a row," Viking forward Tom Slaughter said.

Slaughter of course was a key member of the Vikings this season leading the team in scoring by a huge margin. Interestingly enough, goalie Brick Wahl saw less time than his usual 64 game allotment in favour of young star goalie Blake Campbell. Campbell nor Wahl disappointed with their workloads. Wahl was a little ruffled earlier in the season having to play less than full time, but the split appeared to work very well for the team and it was obvious Campbell deserved playing time as he is on the verge of breaking out.

041014-NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Marc-Andr

"I don't think Brick would admit it with the career he has had and the desire to cement his place in the Hall, but the added rest this year was huge for him. He's played more games the last few years than any other goalie in this league. He shows up huge in the playoffs all the time and this season I'm expecting big things with the added rest. It's a bit of a hurt to the ego to let a rookie play, but Campbell is on track to be a star in his own right," Slaughter said.

Wahl and Slaughter have paired up for five Victory Cups and two Continental Cups over the course of their seven seasons together. Now on their last playoff push together, the pair look to add one more trophy onto the shelf. The Vikings have a great team and with a fully rested Wahl in net and a first round bye, good things are expected. He team played all other teams tough this season. "I think we have a great shot at this. The two of us are probably as old and experienced as we can get. This is the end of our journey," Slaughter said.

Content: /3 - Wow, great accomplishments by both players. That trade has definitely worked out well for the Vikings. Would not be surprised if the Vikings come out of Europe. Good luck on getting that third Continental Cup! (except if you play Davos in the next round ;)).

Grammar: 2/2 - Just one typo 

Mind you,me got a few lucky bounces = Mind you, we got a few lucky bounces (I assume that's what you meant to write)

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks good.

Overall: 6/6

Edited by Tylar

• 3 weeks later...