Claimed:Brampton Defenders Leading the Way [Final 6/6]

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Biggu Kyanon Firing on all Cylinders, Defenders Leading the way in Brampton

www.VHLHockeyNews.com

Don’t look now, but it seems the top dog in Brampton is no longer the familiar name and icon of the franchise Sam Teibert, who has led Brampton in multiple consecutive seasons in scoring both playoffs and regular season. Newcomer Biggu Kyanon has taken the opportunity to show his offensive prowess and looks primed for the big show. Through 7 games in the VHLM playoffs, Kyanon leads the Blades in both goals (6) points (13) and shots blocked (22). He has also played the most minutes of any player on the team, averaging 31 minutes a game sofar while avoiding any penalties.

jamie_lewis.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Not far behind sitting in third and fourth in team scoring are defencemen Golden Jedtsson and Phil Hamilton with 9 and 7 points respectively. Therein lies a problem here as it seems that the Blades forwards need to step up their game. Certainly Bernie Gow of the Bern Royals is a top flight goalie, but when only one forward is above a point per game on the team during the playoffs when there were four during the regular season, one has to ask where have they gone? The strength of the Blades in the past seasons have derived from their depth in scoring throughout the lineup and sofar that has not really showed up as much as they would have liked. The Blades would love to see Perron step up his game and Coutzen lock down the defensive zone as they did so during the regular season.

In practice the other day, GM Fong was seen shuffling his lines around, in effort to jump start the forward corp.

“It is not that they are playing poorly, they are playing ok. But ok will not win you a championship. Bern is a tough squad and one of the strongest we have faced since I’ve been here and you have to find a way to score on them and with that it means generating shots. We’re looking too pretty out there trying to make the perfect play but right now we just need to generate shots and test the goalie and look for the dirty goals in the paint. Kyanon and Hamilton have both come in and in a short amount of time, solidified themselves on the blue line. Kyanon’s offensive IQ is off the charts, we haven’t had a defenseman like him in a long time and he and Hamilton on the power play has enabled us to get Jedtsson matched with more minutes against their top forward line. Penalties have been a problem with us against Bern though, we have to stop giving them so many PP opportunities, as in the regular season it has been our Achillies heel against them.” – Terence Fong, Brampton GM

It comes as no real surprise though that the depth scoring has gone down since the departure of Travis Willcox. The reality is that nobody knew how much it would actually impact the Blades but by all accounts it has been heavy.

“I understand why they had to do it, but in the end it may have come back to bite Brampton. While they got a fair return back in Stabby and Jefferson and Coutzen, Willcox was a game breaker and I think the Blades miss him anchoring the 2nd line quite a bit.  Jefferson isn’t that kind of player and Coutzen is relatively inexperienced right now. Those three need to step up to replace the missing factor of Willcox if the Blades want to win this series.” – Peter Maher, Former Fan 960

Peter-Maher.jpg

Overview 3/3 - very good article. I think my player is just struggling right now with putting up points, but my player is one way offensively. I also think harder competition is why we have less in the ppg column

Grammar 2/2 - Well done

Franchise Sam Teibert = Franchise, Sam Teibert

Sofar = so far

Appearance 1/1 - very good.