Claimed:Saul Hackett - A First Look [Final 6/6]

Renomitsu

With a handful of significant, established prospects receiving the majority of the press’s attention, it’s easy for less highly-touted prospects to have their name and skills publicized. Little-known Canadian defender Saul Hackett – an individual generally so reticent off the ice that even the most astute scouting personnel have difficulty ascertaining his personality – sat down for one of his first interviews.

587422_eb.jpg

Q: First off, Saul – how are things going?

SH: I’m doing well, thank you.

Q: Great to hear! Now, for those of you who don’t know, Mr. Hackett was recently claimed by the Brampton Blades and comes in as a virtually unknown prospect. Why isn’t there any buzz around your arrival, Saul?

SH: Well, I don’t really have a hockey pedigree to speak of. Look at some of the greats in history – recent inductees like McQueen and Tordahl, for example – and it’s as if people knew they were born to play on the ice before they themselves considered the VHLM, really. In all of the tape anyone’s taken of me, I don’t show off the same sort of franchise player, all-star kind of vibe, and I haven’t been playing hockey for my entire life like some of the prospects for the Season 45 draft.

Q: There’s a lot said about “potential” for draft prospects; how do you rate yourself in this respect?

SH: The sky’s the limit. What I show on the ice, especially in this first season, is going to be significant in terms of my career; it dictates any future chances I have with this franchise, and whether they feel it necessary to develop me further or send me on up to the VHL. My immediate performance, however, is secondary – my commitment and passion in practice is going to be worth about as much as my numbers on the ice.

Q: How do you feel about your chances of making an impact on the Blades, or your drafting team in season 46?

SH: One step at a time. I’m barely out of the amateur scene as-is, and I’m going to focus on demonstrating my value to this team first and foremost. Ask this question in a few months, and I’m sure I’ll have a more informed response for you.

Q: It seems as though you’re very tentative about your skills or performance in the upcoming months.

SH: I’ve set very high expectations for myself, internally. I’ll be honest in saying that my hockey-specific skills aren’t as honed as some of the incredible individuals coming up – just take a look at Nezhmetdinov! The guy’s eighteen – and seems to have a vision of the rink that’s a few steps ahead of some of the current pros. He skates powerfully and handles the puck like a veteran. But I digress – what I mean to say is that the upcoming season will shape a lot of my future. I’m what scouts call a very “raw” prospect – maybe the athleticism’s there, maybe I’ve got some semblance of game sense – but nobody’s going to know until they give me a shot. I’m incredibly grateful that the Blades have taken a chance on me, as short or long as my time with them may be.

There you have it folks – his first interview in the books. Is he an entertaining, fiery personality? No – but Hackett comes off as an individual grounded in realism, with dedication and a passion for self-improvement. He conducts himself professionally, but it’s hard to say exactly where he’ll end up. One major question coming in: does he have the confidence in his own abilities to make it as a pro?

As he’s said himself – maybe we’ll need to take it one step at a time.

Content: 3/3 - Nice first media spot/interview. Good luck with your player. I hope you stick around :)

Grammar: 2/2 - I didn't catch anything

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks fine

Overall: 6/6