Claimed:Deschamps quietly works his way up draft boards [Final 6/6]

scotty

Deschamps quietly works his way up draft boards

VHLM.com | Filed under: Brampton Blades

BRAMPTON, ONT. -- In the sixth edition of the VHLSC rankings for the S45 Entry Draft, Frenchman Maxime Deschamps has worked his way up to #18 on the prospect big board. The latest ranking represents a positive move of seven spots since Deschamps originally cracked the rankings two weeks ago.

With a rather paltry 27 points in 40 games as the top-line centre of the Brampton Blades, it would seem that the rise is counter-intuitive, but scouts have been drawn to Deschamps for other areas of play.

"He's never going to be an offensive guy at the next level, so I don't think anyone is being fooled there," one anonymous VHL head scout said. "Frankly, he isn't even going to be a big-time scorer at the VHLM level, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to like with this kid."

It's not exactly a glowing endorsement, but the scout alluded to what has drawn interest, his overall play. Deschamps could be one of the better defensive-minded forwards the VHL Entry Draft has seen in recent years, and it could help pave the way for the 18-year-old to cash in as a serviceable VHL player for several seasons to come.

Where does he slot in come draft day, though? Well, that's anyone's guess. Our scouting source said that organizations are doing everything they can to get a read on the answer to that very question.

ryan_johansen_640.jpg

Deschamps is regarded as an excellent centre and should see no shortage of important face-offs in his VHL career.

"It's really tough to say where he's going to land come draft day. It's no secret that this draft is very lean on forwards, so that's definitely going to work in his favour. There's a few teams that will be looking for help up front as we get into the latter stages of the first round and early in the second, so is that realistic for him? It could very well be."

The prospect of a player with Deschamps' skill-set going as high as the first round might send a shock through some fan-bases, but it's the type of pressure the Amiens product relishes.

"Honestly, I'm looking forward to the challenge wherever I go. I've played my whole career to this point knowing I'm never going to be the guy who's going to go out and light up the score sheet. I think I can hold my own offensively, but make no mistake, I know what my role is going to be," Deschamps said.

That role could be valuable one as teams look to secure a quality second or third line centre who can find a role as a premier shut-down centre on the big stage. In addition to being an excellent face-off man, Deschamps is also a very strong skater and should see no issues transitioning to the next level.

With just under 50 practice hours to his name thus far, it might be a little unrealistic for Deschamps to see any VHL action in S45, but with his commitment to playing a defensive role, it might be safe to say that he could safely hold his own if his team decides to press him into action earlier than some might anticipate.

Edited by scotty

Content: 3/3 - Keep moving up those draft rankings! Defensive forwards are a bit under-appreciated. You'll be a valuable player for a team in the VHL in the future and a VHLM team next season :) 

Grammar: 2/2 - Didn't catch anything. 

Appearance: 1/1 - Yuppers

Overall: 6/6