Claimed:Expectations for S48 [Reviewed]

atw2592

Expectations for LSP in season 48

After a solid rookie season which saw LeAndre St. Pierre come out to a blazing fast start in terms of scoring only to come back to a crashing halt towards the end, it is tough to determine exactly what to expect from the 5’10 winger in season 48. If he is somehow voted rookie of the year, it will be expected that he follows up his 31 goal, 61 point season with even higher production. It is almost certain that his team, the Toronto Legion, will start to want to be competitive in season 48, making his performance vital to their success. However, Joel Jarvi will likely take the rookie of the year honors for season 47 and St. Pierre’s rookie year will be an afterthought as a decent player on a bad team. That doesn’t mean that general manager Max Molholt won’t expect big things from St. Pierre next season. The player/coach was clearly overjoyed at what the young Frenchmen brought to the team in season 47, and will be asking more of him as they likely make a push for the playoffs next season. St. Pierre will likely be playing on the first line alongside Molholt and Zach Parechkin, meaning first line production is to be expected. While he won’t offer much production in terms of defense, another 30+ goal season is a must. His scoring rating recently rose to 99, meaning as long as he gets his ice time and shot opportunities he will all but surely reach that milestone again.

The real question is if he can contribute to the team in any other fashion. His plus/minus rating was an appalling -54 this past season, and while his physical ratings are sure to increase in the off-season, it will be interesting to see if he improves on any aspect of his game other than offense. Yes, St. Pierre could end up as one of the most prolific scorers in VHL history by the time his career is over, but that isn’t a concern. It will be the fact that he is a liability to let his man score each time the Legion are in their own end. Unless he decides to commit a lot of practice hours to sharping his defensive skills, Toronto may be forced to use him strictly in offensive situations such as power play opportunities and late in the game while trailing. This is sure to be something that Molholt gives a long look at when deciding whether he is ready for his team to compete on not. They are certain to have an improved roster in season 48 after winning the first overall pick in the VHL draft lottery, but it is yet to be determined if they will go out and acquire veteran talent to go along with their youth.

Edited by atw925

Nice write up.  Good luck with the Rookie of the Year voting.  I don't know your stats compared to Jarvi's though, I just know it was always you two at the top in Ottawa when I got the opportunity to play with you guys.  Only error I saw was when you said "young Frenchmen" in this case it should have been "Frenchman" but overall, very nicely done and if that's the only error, you're in good shape. Unfortunately, you're only at 469 words so be mindful of the word limit in the future.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to playing against you next season!