Claimed:VHL (World Cup) Expansion [Reviewed]

FacePuncher

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtpGfgqD15XS_YhYDsOxw

Project Player 2 puts us in a wonderful position to have deep teams. 31+ new players will enter into the VHL in the coming seasons, allowing us to create SHL-level depth teams, and while I'm not a fan of the SHL, I believe that's one thing they do right. Deep teams help the VHL, But what about the World Cup? Each team will only have spots for 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 2 goalies, and for the most part we can already fill those teams up. Could expansion to 8 national teams be imminent? It might be.

before I start, I want to say that this discussion is a little early, and since all the 2nd players haven't been made yet it's hard to gauge exactly what we could do team-wise, but since I have already done the work for the S50 World Cup I had data available, and better to be getting the ball rolling now than just starting to talk about it after it happens. So without further ado, lets look at possible teams.

Team Veteran

Now this idea needs some tweaking, as after looking at the team they seemed a little OP. But it springs from the complaint I got from @jRuutu about freshly retired players like Jorma Ruutu and Edwin Reencarnacion are not eligible for the World Cup. He brought up two good points (that hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing), saying "Kinda weird rule when you think about it, all the players who have retired during the season can play in the playoffs, no problem, but when the international tournament starts, nope, cant play." And "I guess they had more players back in the day and that is why they put the rule in there, but these days, not sure who is going to benefit from inactive under 300 tpe players playing against 600-1000 tpe players." I think he definitely has a point. This is the S50 World Cup, so if the retired players can play in the S50 VHL season why can't the play nationally? And allowing these players to still be eligible would remove some inactives from international play, which is a good thing.

Anyways, my possible proposal is to make a team that would have all retired players on one team. There's enough of them every year to field a team with leftovers. I'm not sure if this is a great idea, but it's one that works at least, maybe just not well.

S50 Team Veteran

Jorma Ruutu-Edwin Reencarnacion-E'Twaun Delicious

Marcel Faux-Bronson Faux-Souryuu Kaminogi

Francis York Morgan-Pablo Escabar

Golden Jetdssen-Theo Matsikas

Hans Wingate

Holy The Goalie

Team United Kingdom

Team Europe is a powerhouse, so maybe they have enough power to make two competitive teams? Let's take a look

S50 Team UK

Phil Shankley- Essian Ravenwing-Sean Blacker

Kane Hamilton-NA-Patrick Brumm

Phil Hamilton-Jeff Hamilton

David Hamilton-Michael Burch

Hans Wingate

Greg Clegane

S50 Team Europe

Tyson Kohler-Thaddeus Humbert-Shawn Muller

LeAndre St. Pierre-Maxime Perron-Giovanni Reuel

World B. Free-Elijah Dotran

Hector De La Riva-Judocus Dermaux

Sandro Clegane

Carson Shmyr

This would be an interesting proposal. Team UK takes all the defense, but leaves without any offense. Right now, there is not enough players to make this proposal a reality, as UK would be without a forward, but that could be fixed when the next 2 waves of player 2's come in.

Team Russia

Russia is a big country, and a hockey hotbed, but could it field a World Cup squad? Let's take a look

S50 Team Russia

Bogdan Podarok-Pavel Ovechkin-Lucas Zhukenov

Adrian Kharmalov-NA-NA

Pavel Komarov-Maksym Barnyashev

Misha Tobolsk-Grigory Kopralkov

Dmitri Dadonov

Ilya Kopralkov

S50 Team World

Arcturus Mengsk-Wesley Babiy-Pietro Maximoff

Evgeny Nezhmetdinov-Alokin Alset-Sterling Archer

Biggu Kyanon-Felipe Rodriguez

Bobby Digital-Izidors Balders

Ariel Weinstein

Jakab Holik

I don't think this would be a feasible plan. Unlike Team Europe and Team UK, where both have some elite level talent, Team World remains fairly intact while Team Russia really only has 4 good players. That could change with the player 2 addition, but it would have to be a huge change.

Two Team Canadas

Canada has a ton of hockey talent, and in the VHL they have the most eligible players. So could there be a split up if the team? I would say no, for two reason. One, Canada has the most eligible players, but also the most inactives. A lot of those extra players haven't passed the 100 TPE mark. Reason number two is that many people simply put down "Canada" when they create their player. For instance, 4 current players on the Canadian national team are from Parts Unknown. If we split up the country, where will these guys go to? It would probably make too many problems.

Some kind of rule change about this would be nice. If I retire in middle of the season 50 for example, I cant play in the season 50 world cup? That is a weird rule. ´In real life´ players retire all the time and I´m sure at least few of them have ended their careers in the IIHF World Championships even though they have announced their retirement well before.

I have played in few World Cups already, so missing out now does not feel that bad, but still sucks when I could more than likely be in the Team Mercenaries for example if I would be allowed to play, since they have few quite low level inactive players in their lineup. 

Team Veteran or Team Mercenaries where the ´leftovers´ usually play could be ideal team for the soon to be retired players to play or if it´s the Team Mercenaries, add some kind of cap for retiring players,  Max 3 ? So the younger players who did not make the other teams can get picked first, but if there is no younger players, just pick a soon to be retired player, instead of a inactive low level player

Edited by jRuutu