Where is the Love?

CowboyinAmerica

Seattle-Times-Logo.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

The VHL season is almost upon us, and Karsten Olsen and the rest of the Seattle Bears squad are gearing up to make a playoff push for the first time in five seasons. However, it’s not just the team game that we at the Seattle Times are focused on – it’s the individual awards as well. And, it seems according to the VHL predictions, not many Bears are on the prediction ballots to win awards this season.

Case in point: Defenseman of the Year. With Marcellin and Sullivan retired, the award is now seemingly up for grabs to any defenseman who can claim it. Most of the predictions, however, say the award isn’t up for grabs at all. With ballots filed into the league office, almost 90 percent of all VHL representatives believe one of the Valiqs, Alexander or Niklas, will win the award. And that makes Bears defenseman Karsten Olsen displeased.

“Of course I feel like I have a legitimate shot,” Olsen told reporters before Seattle’s first preseason game. “Alexander Valiq is on the downslope of his career, and Niklas Valiq only has me by about 30 practice hours. I think it’s more of a toss-up than a clear Valiq victory, and you could probably throw my teammate James Lefevre, Willie Weber and Malcom Spud in there as well. It's wide open. Really, I just wanted a few more votes away from the Quebec duo.”

On his own personal ballot, Olsen’s agent Zach Warren placed three Bears in prominent spots – Olsen for Defenseman of the Year, Sebastian Ball Jr. for Most Improved Player, and Greg Harbinson for GM of the Year. Ball will likely be the scoring centerpiece of the Seattle offense this season, and if Seattle indeed makes a run, Harbinson should be honored for completing the Bears’ rebuild.