2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

• Head Moderator

This is why I don't help you or talk about fantasy hockey with you. Toews is better than Getzlaf and it's not even a dispute. Getz is a great player and someone you have to watch. However, Toews is one of the premier centres with the ability to also be amazing in his own end. Not to mention Toews has more clutchness in his right two then Getz does in his bald head.

I'm pretty offended with you insinuating I don't have any hockey knowledge actually.

First of all, intangibles matters very little in fantasy hockey. On the fantasy board Getz is ahead of Toews usually in points behind him in Faceoffs and way ahead of him in hits normally.

In real play they both have cups, obviously the edge is given here to Toews, as he is elite defensively and has an mvp. But it's not like Getz is a slouch in the playoffs, he has had some fairly impressive runs as well.

Why do I put Getzlaf ahead of Toews? I've just always come away more impressed watching him than Toews on the ice. It's just the eyeball test.

• Head Moderator

Also if you want to just go playoff stat watching.

Getz

69 games 59 points and 5 gwg 0.86ppg

Toews

75 games 64 points and 8 gwg. 0.85ppg

Edited by tfong

I'm pretty offended with you insinuating I don't have any hockey knowledge actually.

First of all, intangibles matters very little in fantasy hockey. On the fantasy board Getz is ahead of Toews usually in points behind him in Faceoffs and way ahead of him in hits normally.

In real play they both have cups, obviously the edge is given here to Toews, as he is elite defensively and has an mvp. But it's not like Getz is a slouch in the playoffs, he has had some fairly impressive runs as well.

Why do I put Getzlaf ahead of Toews? I've just always come away more impressed watching him than Toews on the ice. It's just the eyeball test.

Toews is a more complete player. Getz isn't as good defensively. There stats throughout their careers are actually very even offensively. I'd rather take the more complete player.

I wasn't trying to insult you, but you've made some very very questionable fantasy moves that you announce on Facebook. One with Yakupov I think?

I don't know if it's fair to judge Getzlaf and Toews by the same criteria. Toews is an excellent two-way forward and Getzlaf is an excellent power forward. There are things Getzlaf does that Toews can't and there are things that Toews does that Getzlaf can't.

That being said, I give the edge to Toews. I'd rather have a defensively responsible center with offensive bursts than an offensively dynamic center that backchecks sometimes.

How good a player is in fantasy doesn't correlate to how good a player actually is but that's just imo.

^

Spencer Hawes is ranked ahead of Demarcus Cousins this year. Does that make him better? No.

#allyouguysexcept8o8dontknowwhoimtalkingabout

• Head Moderator

Toews is a more complete player. Getz isn't as good defensively. There stats throughout their careers are actually very even offensively. I'd rather take the more complete player.

I wasn't trying to insult you, but you've made some very very questionable fantasy moves that you announce on Facebook. One with Yakupov I think?

I've made only one questionable trade. It isn't the Yakupov one, you're thinking maybe the Mackinnon one.

It was Tanguay, 1st round pick, Hossa at the end of the season, and Jordan Subban for Yakupov

That is not questionable at all I think, considering I'm gambling on him being a 40 goal scorer someday. My 1st rounder is high (I'm 2nd place right now), I wasn't using a keeper pick on Hossa but I use him until the end of the season, and Jordan Subban is just a prospect.

I just have the opinion that Getzlaf's excellent offensive ability and power game outweighs his defensive deficiency (which is being overblown) enough to make me want him over Toews.

Is Toews the better two way center? Absolutely. But I think Getz in beast mode is nearly unstoppable.

Its like not everyone will take Crosby over Ovie, in which I take Getzlaf over Toews.

I've made only one questionable trade. It isn't the Yakupov one, you're thinking maybe the Mackinnon one.

It was Tanguay, 1st round pick, Hossa at the end of the season, and Jordan Subban for Yakupov

That is not questionable at all I think, considering I'm gambling on him being a 40 goal scorer someday. My 1st rounder is high (I'm 2nd place right now), I wasn't using a keeper pick on Hossa but I use him until the end of the season, and Jordan Subban is just a prospect.

I just have the opinion that Getzlaf's excellent offensive ability and power game outweighs his defensive deficiency (which is being overblown) enough to make me want him over Toews.

Is Toews the better two way center? Absolutely. But I think Getz in beast mode is nearly unstoppable.

Its like not everyone will take Crosby over Ovie, in which I take Getzlaf over Toews.

Okay keep this in mind though. Statistically they are even throughout their careers offensively. Toews is better defensively. Therefore Toews outweighs Getz. 

Getz is beats mode is hard to say, because he is just consistent, it's not like he goes into total beast mode. Toews in beast mode is as clutch as clutch comes. I think you need to look at their overall games. When building a franchise I'd rather build around Toews than Getz.

Also you'd have to list all your trades, but I know one was pretty stupid.

• Head Moderator

Maybe the Mackinnon for Spezza one lol. That one I want back now possibly as I had expected Spezza to be way better for my contending team this year than Mackinnon.

My trades this year. The assets are listed as what each team recieved.

Flaming Wings

Jordan Staal

15th rd. 2014 m.d.

v

Mason Raymond

18th rd. 2014 m.d.

Rocky Mtn Heat November 2, 2013

Flaming Horseheads Nathan MacKinnon  

v

Jason Spezza

Flaming Wings November 10, 2013

ng Wings

Sean Monahan

Danny DeKeyser

v

Blake Wheeler

Niklas Kronwall

Feaster's Flying Flamekowski's November 13, 2013

Lethargicc Sloths

Alex Tanguay

Marian Hossa***

Jordan Subban (P)

10th rd. 2014 m.d.

v

Nail Yakupov

23rd rd. 2014 m.d.

Flaming Wings November 16th, 2013

Flaming Wings

Michael Cammalleri

Brent Burns

v

Michael Bournival

Eric Gelinas

1st rd. 2014 p.d.

Arturri Lehkonen

Generic Team Name December 2, 2013

Feaster's Flying Flamekowski's

Michael Cammalleri

Marian Gaborik

v

Martin St. Louis Flaming Wings

December 9, 2013

Flaming Wings Ryan McDonagh

v

Connor Murphy

Josh Morrisey (P)

Don't Toews Me Bro January 8, 2014

Flaming Wings

Alex Barkov

Ryan Murray

Derrick Pouliot (P)

15th rd. 2014 m.d.

v

Ryan McDonagh

Sean Monahan

14th rd. 2014 m.d.

The Terrors January 9, 2014

Edited by tfong

I think it was the Yak trade. Why acquire a guy who has fallen out of favour and may not even adapt to a proper system for so many years? Really risky

• Head Moderator

I didn't give up much. Essentially a low first round pick and a player at the end of the season I'm not using a keeper on. Not like Tanguay provided much. The important fact in this trade is that I keep Hossa for the rest of the season, and he moves to the other team at the end and he will use his keeper pick on him.

Edited by tfong

• Head Moderator

That's the only one I want a mulligan one on lol. The saving grace though is that Spezza takes a lot of Faceoffs. But yeah I don't know, maybe I didn't have much faith in Mackinnon? Dunno what I was thinking there.

I don't understand how the Yak trade is that bad. He is a first overall pick two years ago. It's a gamble still but I think it will turn out ok.

My prospect drafting has been pretty decent and should fill in my holes I have in the future.

Edited by tfong

That's the only one I want a mulligan one on lol. The saving grace though is that Spezza takes a lot of Faceoffs. But yeah I don't know, maybe I didn't have much faith in Mackinnon? Dunno what I was thinking there.

I don't understand how the Yak trade is that bad. He is a first overall pick two years ago. It's a gamble still but I think it will turn out ok.

My prospect drafting has been pretty decent and should fill in my holes I have in the future.

It's bad because think about the time you did the trade too. There was huge backlash for Eakins and the Oilers as well as Yak himself. He was being scratched and it wasn't looking very good, and then you went ahead and acquired him...

• Head Moderator

It's bad because think about the time you did the trade too. There was huge backlash for Eakins and the Oilers as well as Yak himself. He was being scratched and it wasn't looking very good, and then you went ahead and acquired him...

Well I was hoping they'd trade him to a different team or at the very least it meant I'd be getting Yak at a discounted value (which I did). He is starting to play better now but for now he remains a long term investment. I do a lot of trading when player value goes down and gamble on rebounds, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But there is no denying I really want the Mackinnon trade as a mulligan lol. I do hope in gods name that Barkov will get to that same level so I can feel better about that mess up or at least I win the league this year.

Edited by tfong

You're a Red Wings fan, so I'm guessing a lot of your watching Toews happened against Detroit. He played pretty damn awful (for him) in the series against Detroit, but if you are saying you'd rather start a real NHL team with Getzlaf over Toews, you're probably on the wrong side with that one.

Toews is also 25 years old.

You're a Red Wings fan, so I'm guessing a lot of your watching Toews happened against Detroit. He played pretty damn awful (for him) in the series against Detroit, but if you are saying you'd rather start a real NHL team with Getzlaf over Toews, you're probably on the wrong side with that one.

Toews is also 25 years old.

you cant really go wrong with whoever you take. some people have their different tastes. Toews might be a product of who he plays with. with players like Kane, Sharp, Hossa etc. that goes without saying of course im not saying Toews is only good because of those players but they my raise his game, where as Getzlaf has to play at a high level all the time because its only him and Perry. 

you cant really go wrong with whoever you take. some people have their different tastes. Toews might be a product of who he plays with. with players like Kane, Sharp, Hossa etc. that goes without saying of course im not saying Toews is only good because of those players but they my raise his game, where as Getzlaf has to play at a high level all the time because its only him and Perry. 

Like I said earlier. Toews doesn't play with the guys you mentioned all the time. Hell, he hasn't played with Kane for the majority of this season. Also, Getz isn't surrounded by nobodies either. UNless of course you call Selanne who is one of the best snipers all time and didn't forget to score overnight a nobody

Like I said earlier. Toews doesn't play with the guys you mentioned all the time. Hell, he hasn't played with Kane for the majority of this season. Also, Getz isn't surrounded by nobodies either. UNless of course you call Selanne who is one of the best snipers all time and didn't forget to score overnight a nobody

because he doesnt play with them doesnt mean they dont draw the other teams best checkers as well. Also i forgot Selanne in all honesty. my bad. other than those two Perry and Selanne. who does he have? Mathieu Perrurealt? Saku Koivu? but again like i said too, you cant go wrong with either. 

when are Burrows and Edler going to be back? Edler has been gone since the Pittsburgh game in Pittsburgh no? 

Edler's back tonight, last I heard Burrows won't be cleared until after the game vs. PHX. As much as I harp on Edler, we really need him back because we can't have Hamhuis playing 30 minutes every game.

because he doesnt play with them doesnt mean they dont draw the other teams best checkers as well. Also i forgot Selanne in all honesty. my bad. other than those two Perry and Selanne. who does he have? Mathieu Perrurealt? Saku Koivu? but again like i said too, you cant go wrong with either. 

Toews draws by far the most attention of anyone on the Hawks. You don't watch enough of the Hawks I don't think.

I guess Cam Fowler sucks.