Jim Lahey is going to end up being the highest fantasy scorer

scoop

Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. John Sleeman has gotten off to an incredible start, currently at 125.8 fantasy points, while the next highest is his Cologne teammate Niels Skovgaard at 88.6. With such a commanding lead (consider the gap between Sleeman and Skovgaard is 37.2 points; there are 31 skaters within 37.2 points of Skovgaard) it's hard to imagine anyone will catch him. And while maybe saying Lahey will catch Sleeman is a bit of a stretch, I think there is a chance, but in reality it probably won't happen. I do think Lahey will end up as the second highest scorer, though; and he's not on a single fantasy team (though if waivers were a thing, I can guarantee you he'd be on at least one roster by now).

At 81.2 points, Lahey currently ranks fifth overall in fantasy scoring, and second among defensemen behind Phil Hamilton. (Just for the sake of completeness, the other player in the top five is Unassisted at third highest.) So why is it Lahey that I think can catch Sleeman? It's simple: his fantasy production has skyrocketed since being traded to Helsinki.

In eight games with the Calgary Wranglers, Lahey had one goal, one assist, 13 hits, and ten shots blocked. That amounts to just 13.6 fantasy points. In 14 games with the Titans, Lahey has five goals, seven assists, 61 hits, and 48 shots blocked; that's a total of 67.6 fantasy points, or about 4.83 per game. Continuing at that pace for the remainder of the season would put Lahey at a final score of 322.6 fantasy points; Sleeman is on pace to finish with 411.7 and Skovgaard is on pace for 290. Lahey's production could drop if Helsinki were to add another defenseman to the roster to take away some shots blocked, but he'd still finish as a great player.

In my fantasy group, I'm currently second. The only team ahead of me is @evrydayimbyfuglien who has the 18.6-point Jack Kraken on his team, by far the worst fantasy player on a roster in Group C. To make up for that, though, he has John Sleeman, a player I imagine will be on several winning rosters. My team is being kept afloat by Phil Hamilton, Zach Parechkin (the sixth highest scorer), and Dmitri Dadonov (the second highest goalie, though Cologne hasn't played their backup at all yet). Although I'm second, I trail first by almost 30 points, and @Kylrad is within ten of me. @BOOM® and @solas are a close 4th and 5th, respectively, both within 50 points of first place. And in Group C it is @STZ bringing up the rear.

for mist4ke

@Streetlight I thought there was a waiver wire but maybe it was nixed. I really thought Kraken would put up decent numbers but I guess I should have checked what team he's even on before picking him lol I was not prepared for the fantasy draft at all. 

9 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

@Streetlight I thought there was a waiver wire but maybe it was nixed. I really thought Kraken would put up decent numbers but I guess I should have checked what team he's even on before picking him lol I was not prepared for the fantasy draft at all. 

It was nixed because someone was putting up a stink about it. (Someone in a different group, but I won't name names).

2 hours ago, Streetlight said:

It was nixed because someone was putting up a stink about it. (Someone in a different group, but I won't name names).

It's okay I'll do it. DT put up a shit storm and ruined it for the rest of us