Goalie Disaster

BluObieZ

Image result for NHL goalie competition

Keep in mind that I did not and will not do the actual numbers to back up the claim I am about to make. Nor do I care about fact checking this. Why? One, I don’t care enough and I just want the six easy points and secondly I am pretty sure I am 80% if not more right about this. That’s a pretty high percentage if you aren’t a math guru like I am…not.

I did some quick counting (I really didn’t) and I realized that the league is about to enter a new age. It may be a dark and low scoring one. It’s not because the forwards suck and it’s not like teams will be employing the D of the Colorado Avalanche (I am a fan since Quebec)

It’s clearly because there is about to be a huge influx of goalies entering the league. Forcing some if not all teams to employ two goalies. Why is this an issue? Well… think about it this way. The money you throw at the 2nd stringer is money you can use for that extra forward that will make you the New York Americans of S51 or that great D that you need to put you over the top.

But now teams will be forced to tie up money and some of it will be big money in a player that at most will play half the season. Which makes no sense because their starter who will be the better player will not be happy with a smaller work load. It will affect them getting top goalie honors and maybe even affect them getting into the hall.

All of these goalies are good because if a team feels like they are struggling with one at the moment they can turn to the next one and ride them till the next time they struggle and so on. BUT! This brings me to my initial point that tying up money in these players will in the long run hurt the team.

What can the league do about this soon to be issue? If anything? Well I suggest one of two things one of which is to raise the salary cap because of spending this unexpected money is well… unexpected. Teams cannot truly be expected to spend this money when it affect all teams equally.

It will affect the team rebuilding by tying up money early one that they can use to resign a young star that will play more than half the games. It will affect the team that is looking at taking a shot at the cup, with less money to add a true piece to their team, their chances will may just fizzle out right there. But on the flip side of that coin teams that draft a goalie in the next few seasons will not have worry about their goalie future when their older goalies retire and goalies that they draft now are most likely going to be around for all if not most of their careers. Due to the lack of goalie jobs open it will limit if not get rid of all goalie free agents.

My second idea is to lower the goalie minimum salary so it limits the hit on teams that are almost forced to have two goalies. There are is option for not drafting these players or not signing. They are forced to sign them and keep them. They league really needs to come up with a viable plan for this upcoming problem.

What the league decides I do not know but it’s something that needs to be decided very soon. A third option is a hybrid of those two. Raise the cap a bit and lower the goalie minimum just a bit. Any fucking who… this is longer then I wanted it to be so fuck off.

Edited by BobertZ