Claimed:Start to the year

jRuutu

start_line_2.jpg

Season 53 has finally started after a long wait.  Quebec did not make it into the playoffs after last year, so the break has been even longer than for some other teams. I did play in the World Cup, so I did not stay away from hockey for that long, but it´s still special to start regular season again, this is the moment everybody waits for during the break, fans and the players. It´s funny how much you miss hockey during summer, as a player it´s tough, so I can only imagine what it´s like for the fans who have to wait months to see their favorite team play again.

A lot of things can happen during the off-season, trades, free agency, players retiring and the draft of course. Quebec added quite few new players into the organization during the off-season,Apollo Skye, Lukas Muller and Pierre Gaudette have all made their debuts with the team while Fredinamijs Krigars, John Locke and SkateFast McChunky are currently playing in the VHLM, so in total of six new names have joined the organization.

It´s always interesting to see how new players manage to fit in and get along with the players who have already been there for bit longer, can they build chemistry off the ice that can then lead the team to great things on the ice? It sure does look like that, Quebec has played six games so far in the regular season and won five of them! Excellent start to the year. 

The new faces have taken big roles right away, Apollo Skye has been a rock in net with 0,95 saving percentage, Muller has collected 2+5 and Gaudette 3+5.  It´s obviously early in the year, but start like this takes your hopes up quickly, could Quebec even make it into playoffs this season? Who knows, but if they keep this up, they should be among the teams who are fighting for a spot in the sunshine. 

giphy.gif

We asked from the captain of Quebec what is the secret behind the hot start, this is what he said:

FJ:  It´s mostly hard work and having all the new players play on high level right from the start. Last year we did not really have the depth to challenge these bigger teams, but I think we took a big step forward during the off-season. The players who were here last year are now slightly more experienced and when you add new faces into that mix, it would not surprise me at all if we get to see playoff hockey in Quebec after the regular season is over! We take one game at a time though, future is positive in Quebec.

Typical hockey answer, but that is all we managed to get out of him. There is still some truth behind his words, Quebec looks like a team that can surprise many during this season. Totally another thing if they manage to play full season on a high level, but making the playoffs should be a fair goal for the team.