Claimed:Reinholdt Perspective: The Grind and Draft Expectations

Devise

Verner Reinholdt is only eleven games into his career with the Brampton Blades, but already the aged forward has found himself involved in what is known as the grind. Verner only has a single point, an assist to his credit however the veteran forward has been able to contribute in other areas of play, being a + player on the season and he has enjoyed some team success as the Blades have attempted to climb the standings of late. When asked about his struggles, and how much of it had to do with just his age, coming out of retirement and getting back into the flow of things, Verner had the following to say. 

I think it's not really just the age it's more the coming out of retirement aspect. I think if you were to have retired at 38 and came back at 40 to do this? You'd experience the same thing. I see a lot of guys even in the VHLM younger than me experiencing the same thing. There is a lot of talent in this league, myself included I feel. But a lot of your early days in the VHLM are going to be digging in, and grinding out the training so that your no longer working just to keep up the pace with everyone else. I think that goes double for someone of my age and for someone who hasn't played competitively in a while like I haven't y'know? I think a guy coming out of another junior league still developing sure he may still have a bit of a grind to get to a top level here in the VHLM but he should be able to do it a bit quicker than someone like myself. He's still in gear. I've been spending a lot of time just getting into gear. But as my coaching staff has been telling me, y'know I've gotten a lot of good words from Conner Low our defensive and conditioning coach, he really feels once I get up to my top gear that people will have to watch out. I'm hoping that is the case as well. But I can say for certain I haven't been at my top gear out there, not even close. 

74285141.jpg

Verner continuing with extensive skating and conditional drills during practice

Since declaring for the league Verner has attracted attention from all sorts, curious to see if this cinderella story sort to speak will have a happy ending. Will this aged vet be able to dust the cob webs off enouogh to make a good run in his VHL career? While success or lack there of in the VHLM doesn't always play a factor on a players career in the VHL, it's still worth analyzing. A lot of the early play of Verner has been competent if nothing else, and the argument that the player needs to work himself back up to a level of play that should generate not only more offense but highlight Reinholdts entire skill set has merit. It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays in regards to potential draft expectations, as Reinholdt will be a S54 VHL draftee. Verner had a few thoughts to say on that recently as well.

Yeah I knew when I came just as the season started that I'd be up for the 54 draft. I don't really have any hopes or expectations about teams, I think I want to try to experience as much this league has to offer as possible. I'd love to play for more than one or two teams in my career for example, just from the travel experience of it. You gotta remember this is probably the last time I ever do this much travelling, I think when I'm done with this career regardless of how it goes I'll be spending my days reading newspapers in a rocking chair ha. So no I'm not going to be picky about where I go, and if the team that drafts me decides I need to stay in the VHLM for more seasoning I'll happily oblige. Again I'm not here to define the narrative of my career path, just have the best experience I can, and give it my all. As for teams on my radar from any other perspective, y'know I grew up in Sweden and always loved to visit Stockholm. Playing in your home country is always a joy so I'd love to do that at some point in my career. I also think both Toronto and Helsinki seem like good destinations. I've never been to Toronto, in fact I haven't visited Canada since my childhood. As for Helsinki I spent two years playing hockey around Finland and only got to play in the Hartwall once. There is an experience to that place that reminds me of home. European hockey fans are one of a kind, so I'd love to play for them as well.