Claimed: Fook Yu Acknowledging Shortcomings

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Fook Yu Acknowledging Shortcomings

www.VHLHockeyNews.com

PAEK-master1050.jpg

You would think that being ranked one of the top prospects in the VHLM would be something to be proud of, but that isn't the first thing to come to mind for Fook Yu, who is currently in the midst of a great rookie season in the VHLM. Speaking to him, anyone would think hes been nothing but a burden on his own team. In 68 games this season, riding with VHLM super star John Locke on the top line of the Ottawa Lynx, Yu has compiled an impressive 112 points with 37 goals. Hes also been a physical force at both ends of the ice with 303 hits and sporting one of the top faceoff skillsets in the VHLM. So we asked, “What else is there?”.

“Well a big priority I think to help me transition into the VHL is going to be bulking up and getting stronger on the puck. Players are going to be bigger and faster and I'll have to be ready for that. My defensive play has to be better as well, the play will be much faster and anticipation of the play with be key.” - Fook Yu

“Judging from various scouting reports as well, Fook Yu has work to do to become a full player in the VHL. While great for VHLM standards, his all around abilities will need to be better if he wants to be able to make the same impact in the VHL as he does now. He is however off to a great start already with better than average skating abilities and awareness in the defensive zone and a skillset that shows great promise as a center. His offense though, may be a bit overstated. While he has found great chemistry with Locke, I think his real strength lies in his defensive play and not his offense. I'm still not convinced he is all that great at generating offense himself and that might be what holds him back.” - Anonymous Scout

“Personally I think some teams will take a chance at him early, but I'm not quite sure he has the superstar potential. I think hes actually going to peak but maintain a steady progress as a good secondary center. A team drafting him to start a franchise might be making an mistake. I think he will be a great complimentary player though otherwise that can eat up valuable minutes as a penalty killer. We don't even have him going top five in our list.” - Anonymous Scout

So as we know, there are definitely mixed opinions out there in regards to Yu. The range of his potential could be anywhere from a second line player to an all star. He could be like his predecessor XXX or he could be like Ying Qin. The question remains therefore, which one will it be in a few years?

puck.jpg