Claimed:They Are Who We Thought They Were!

Ball

Are They Really Who We Thought They Were Though?

e39747407ef8a22bd3119797a5da661a093e1901

“They are who we thought they were.” In 2006, Arizona Cardinals' head coach Dennis Green gave us one of the most memorable moments in the history of professional sports. The Cardinals' gave up a 20 point lead with 3:17 left in the game before Devin Hester, the Chicago Bears' punt return, took a punt to the house with :19 seconds left on the clock. The Bears would go onto win the game 24-23 and in the ensuing press conference, Green let everyone know how he thoughtbout the historic collapse. So, how could this possibly tie into the VHL you ask? Well, in the VHL, most of us can tell how a team will end up doing when all is said and done. Making a long story short, up until playoffs, there really isn't much parity in the league. So, we here at VHL.com decided to take a look at some of the teams and decide if they are who we thought they were. Thank you so much Dennis Green, the world of sports is a better place because of you good sir.

The Quebec City Meute

IhclZ49.png

Who we thought they were: The best overall team in the league
Who they really are: The best overall team in the league

Well they are who we thought they were. Through 18 games, the Meute have been dominate, winning 14 games thus far. They have the second best goal differential in the VHL, scoring 55 goals while only letting in 30. A big reason for their success in S36 has been franchise goaltender Skylar Rift, who is having an outstanding season so far. Rift currently leads the league in save percentage (.943), goals against average (1.46), and is second in shutouts with 3. The offense has been just as spectacular, led by Tomas Valiq and Yuri Grigorenko, who are both over the 20 point mark. But unlike Dennis Green, I'm not quite ready to crown their asses just yet. Yes the defending champions are definitely the favorites to win the Continental Cup, but it is still very early in the season. If the offense can keep scoring in bunches and Rift continues to make his case as the best goalie in the VHL, then we might see another cup in Quebec sooner than later.

The Toronto Legion

StPYNLI.png

Who we thought they were: All Remy LeBeau
Who they really are: A dangerous offensive squad

In S35, everyone knew the Toronto Legion for one reason, Remy LeBeau. While they weren't the worst offensive team in the VHL, the lack of offensive firepower who become their downfall against the Calgary Wranglers in the playoffs. So, to solve their offensive woes, the Legion went out in free agency and not only added forward Chico Salmon, but also re-signed Teemu Lehtinen. So far, the new look offense has been stellar, leading the North American Conference in goals scored with 56 in 18 games. Niklas Lindberg has led the offense, picking up right where he left off last season. With the offense clicking, LeBeau should see a huge weight lifted off his shoulders, which I'm sure the stud netminder won't mind one bit. Again, it is still early in the season, but on paper it doesn't look like this offense will be slowing down anytime soon.

Tune in next week as we will take a look at three new teams to see if they are living up to their preseason expectations so far. It has been a, for a lack of a better term, wild season, so who knows where these teams will end up at the end of the season. But we here at VHL.com are here to help you through all this madness. Til next week, keep it classy VHL. (It will be three teams next week since more games were simmed before I finished this media spot.)

Edited by sball66

Can a free agent signing be a franchise goaltender?

Toronto definitely haven't led the league in goals at any point.

Sure why not and oh I meant North American Conference. Silly me

Content: 3/3 - Very cool concept. I like the idea of splitting it into a series. Good way to keep the TPE coming consistently.  ;)

Grammar: 1.75/2 - Mistakes here and there.

thoughtabout - thought about

dominate - dominant

who become - which became

new look offense - new offense look(?)

Appearance: 1/1 - All good.

Overall: 5.75/6

Content: 3/3 - Interesting take on these two teams so far. There are some other teams performing differently than expected, so your next installment has plenty of material to work with!

Grammar: 2/2 - I don't think there was enough to take away from here, especially considering that you went beyond the requirements for an article.

new look offense = new-look offense

Appearance: 1/1 - Definitely!

Overall: 6/6 - We're the Devils! THE DEVIILLLLLSSSSS!!

FINAL: 6/6