Claimed: The Beketov Agency Player Review - Part 1

Beketov

• Commissioner

The Beketov Agency Player Review

What is this madness? Beketov, writing a media spot? Where’s the CoDCast? Where’s the GFX? Well, 1 MS in 10 years isn’t really so bad, right? In order to celebrate the VHL’s historic birthday and get that sweet sweet bonus TPE I decided to write an MS going through all my past players and reviewing how their careers went as well as what went wrong. So sit back, ignore the awful grammar, and enjoy a Beketov retrospective.

----------

Player #1: Robert Sharpe - 188 TPE

Sig68V2.png

Drafted:

Season 1 - 1st Overall

Awards:

Continental Cup - Season 3

Statistics:

274GP, 144-100-21, 0.889SV%, 3.10GAA, 14SO

Alright, let’s get this out of the way early: Sharpe is a scrub and a bust. He was banned from earning TPE for an entire season way back in Season 1 right after being drafted and never quite recovered. However, we can’t ignore that he was the first player ever drafted in the VHL. It was an awful draft choice at the end of the day but the fact remains that Sharpe was drafted before Scotty Campbell so...yeah, I’ve got that.

Sharpe’s TPE level is pretty low however he existed in a far different time. You have to remember how low TPE levels were back in Season 1. His stats are also mediocre by today’s standards but, again, that’s kinda how things were back then.  I can’t really justify his S%, that just sucks, but Sharpe’s GAA and Shutouts are both better than Hall of Famer Maxim Desny and he has the same amount of wins in significantly fewer games. Plus I still managed to get a cup in Season 3 with Calgary so...yeah.

Obviously I regret how things went with Sharpe in regards to the suspension; I think without that he may have actually been a decent player. Would he have made the Hall of Fame? Probably not but it’s entirely possible when you consider that Desny managed it with similar stats.

Player #2: Alexander Beketov - 593 TPE

292o900.jpg

Drafted:

Season 6 - 4th Overall

Awards:

Continental Cup - Season 12

Beketov Award - Season 8

Beketov Award - Season 11

Hall of Fame Inductee - Season 13

Statistics:

506GP, 291G, 461A, 752P, +299

Look at my username. Now go look at the name of the assist award. Have you done that? Good, you should have seen how I feel about Beketov from those two things. My plan was originally to change my username for every player I made but Beketov was so good that I just left it as that.

It’s no surprise that Beketov is one of my best players ever. He’s the only player I’ve ever had that has entered the HoF (first ballot I might add) and he’s also the only player I have that has won two individual awards. Yes, I know that fact is sad compared to some members, but it’s what I have. His TPE levels were actually pretty solid given the time period he played and 752 points, while not impossibly high, is good for 32nd all-time. At the time he was also one of only 3 players to ever get 2 Beketov awards (not what they were called then obviously). That’s likely not still the case but it was then. On top of it all I managed to get a Continental Cup in my last season so, yeah, decent amount of awards by my standards.

Statistically speaking and in regards to TPE he’s likely not my best player ever. However the Hall of Fame, the award name, the cup, and the 2 awards are enough for me to say that Beketov is my most successful player. Sadly things did not exactly continue in that trend afterwards but I still love Beketov and still deem him my best player.

Player #3: Alex Young - 481 TPE

zmm5hd.jpg

Drafted:

Season 14 - 8th Overall

Awards:

Continental Cup - Season 17

Statistics:

266GP, 177-74-14, 0.911SV%, 2.53GAA, 20SO

First off, yes, I know that’s not a sig for Young. All my old links are broken for his sigs though and I love that sig. Plus Alex Evans was supposed to be his name before I decided to change it over to Young so...yeah. Moving on!

Alex Young was my second kick at the can of making a goalie after everything that happened with Sharpe. All in all I think he’s a straight up improvement. While he never managed the TPE levels that Beketov did Young managed to prove to myself, and others, that I could create a successful goalie. His stats are respectable for a goalie of that time period and he managed a Continental Cup only 3 seasons after being drafted.

If I’m not mistaken I stayed in Seattle for the entirety of Young’s career which was also a first for me after moving around quite a bit with both Sharpe and Beketov. I could be wrong on that as my memory is a little hazy but I believe that’s how it went. Obviously coming right off of Beketov I was a little disappointed with Young’s production in all regards but he wasn’t bad. His TPE numbers weren’t great, he didn’t make the Hall of Fame, but he has respectable stats and is top 50 in most categories. Plus the winning  percentage, while team based, is pretty impressive.

Player #4: Niklas Kristensen - 217 TPE

1295382780-U12444.png

Drafted:

Season 21 - 2nd Overall

Awards:

N/A

Statistics:

215GP, 68G, 87A, 155P, -135

I could be wrong on this fact but I believe everyone who has been around this league as long as I have has one player they are ashamed of. Even if I’m wrong, that doesn’t change the fact that I’m ashamed of Niklas Kristensen. He shouldn’t exist, quite frankly, and is a stain on my legacy as far as I’m concerned. While I don’t have all Hall of Fame players by any means I try to pride myself on at least making good players. Niklas Kristensen is not a good player.

I don’t recall who was NY’s GM in Season 21 but I do recall having them hate me for quite some time after they wasted the 2nd overall kick on this waste of skin. To put it into perspective, in Beketov's VHLM season I had more points than Kristensen had his entire career. He’s one of few players that I have with no continental cup and easily was the biggest tarnish on my reputation since the season 1 ban.

So, what happened? Simply put, I got busy, I got burnt out, and I got inactive. By the time Kristensen came around I had been in the VHL for quite some time and was looking to branch out so I was in several other sim leagues at the same time. I was also very busy with work and life and just wasn’t in the mindset to be focussing on multiple leagues. Sadly the VHL was the odd one out for me and Kristensen got more or less ignored. Without a doubt he was my lowest activity player. He had more TPE than Sharpe but just barely and Sharpe couldn’t earn anything for an entire season. Honestly if anyone is still around that brought Kristensen onto their team (I was on several I know that) then I’m honestly sorry about how bad he was.

----------

On that less than cheery note I’m going to end this first part because, honestly, I had had a lot of players and I want to make this last. In the next part I’ll go in depth on my return to the VHL with Jason White and continue through to my current 2 players so look forward to that.

*For Holik

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Most important thing about the steroid ban is you stuck it out for 50+ seasons instead of we losing a member.

It was pretty close tbh. I had left the league completely for a couple of days with the intention of not returning. Scotty got to talking to me on MSN and convinced me to come back. Honestly the ban wasn't hard to get over, though it did cripple Sharpe's progress pretty bad. What was tough was dealing with the members who were, shall we say, less than accommodating.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Molholt said:

Are you just going to talk about yourself all of the time?

Apparently it's the popular thing to do :P