Claimed: USA Junior Defenseman Colton Rayne Interview

Spade18

One report recently caught up with the United States Junior hockey team outside their locker room after their most recent game, a 6-1 loss at the hands of team Europe.  We asked to speak to team leaders and point scorers like Bo Boeser or upcoming VHL Draft first overall pick Gabriel McAllister.  Instead, the team sent out to us bottom pairing defensemen Colton Rayne to discuss the teams recent play, and his future with regards to the upcoming VHLM Draft.

image.png.bfdd78937326f68f94da274bd275729c.png

Reporter: Great to meet you Colton, my condolences on the 6-1 smattering you guys just took.  How did you think the team played despite the score?

Rayne: Thanks.  Yea, aside from the lopsided score I thought we played a decent game.  Our shot totals were close, and we blocked shots well.  But we ran into some penalty trouble which bogged down our offense a little, and theres nothing you can do when you run into a hot goalie, Perought came up big for them on a lot of shots tonight.

Reporter: The seedings look to be about set and team USA will be playing team Europe again in the opening round of the medal rounds.  Any hope coming from your locker room?

Rayne: Without a doubt. We got a lesson today against team Europe, but we can put that knowledge to good use and I think we're gonna surprise people when the first game rolls around.  We've got some real scoring threats in Bo, and Kane, and even being one of the leading scorers in his position the tournament, I don't think McAllister has really shown us everything he has yet.  If we tighten our defensive game up there's no reason we can't win.

Reporter: How do you think you've played personally?  You don't have any points in the tournament yet, has that been weighing on you?

Rayne: I've honestly played better than I expected to.  Offense is not really my game, so the lack of points doesn't bother me much.  I've had a few good hits, and got my toes wet in both the penalty kill and power play.  Despite us getting a little blow out the last 2 games, I'm still only at a -2 which i think in the long run reflects well on me. The only game I wish I had back was one of the Canada games where i drop a -3.  Other than that I think I've had a solid showing for a shut down defenseman heading into the draft.

Reporter: Speaking of the draft, have you given any thought to which round your going to go? Any teams you particularly hope draft you?

Rayne: I've been focused on the tournament the last couple days, but yea, I couldn't help but look at the draft order and see where I should fall.  If it plays out normally I'll probably go in the late 4th or early 5th round.  Off the record, I'd love to play for the Aces or for Ottawa but I don't really have a preference.  I'll play hard for which ever team decided to take me.

Report: Well good luck in tournament and in the upcoming draft Colton, and thanks for your time.

Rayne: No problem, My pleasure.

After what turned out to be a decent at best interview, we're excited to see what Team USA can bring to the table in the medal round, and What Colton Rayne can bring to the VHLM next year!

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: USA Junior Defenseman Colton Rayne Interview