O'Callahan Pre-Game Routine

Sullvino

Pre-Game Routine: Calder O’Callahan

hockey-pregame.jpg

The VHLM is a tough league, some of the best hockey players in the world compete every day. Each player has their own process on game day to get mentally and physically ready for the task at hand. We take a look at rookie center, Calder O’Callahan’s pre-game routine and hear directly from the player.

Gameday Nap

“The most critical part of my gameday is the nap. I try to wakeup early and get a good breakfast in, but if we have a 7:00 pm game, I try to get in a two hour nap or so at around 1:00. This gets me refreshed and ready to roll into the night time with high levels of energy.”

Pre-Game Meal

“I usually try to get in a high carb dinner at around 4:30 or 5:00 before the game to get the energy levels high. This is usually in the form of a pasta dish with some grilled chicken mixed in. I am not too particular with the meal like other guys and certainly do not consider myself a good cook. This does the trick just fine.”

The Music

“When I get to the rink and start putting the equipment on, I always have my Beats on with music to get the blood going before the game. Lately, I have been on an electronic-type of music kick. Calvin Harris, Chainsmokers are hot right now on my Spotify playlist. The music has to be up beat and fast so I can get pumped up for a productive night on the ice.”

Superstitions

“I do not have too many of these like some of my teammates. I usually just go through my routine of putting the equipment on. I am quite particular when it comes to my sticks, though. I always use white tape if I am using a darker stick that night and black tape if I am using a lighter toned stick. Not really sure why, but I roll with it.”

Edited by Sullvino