Claimed: Full Circle [1/2]

Phil

Full Circle

2QCIydi.gif

As the weather is getting colder, so too is Phil Bennington.

Bennington is currently in the VHLM team. He is on Saskatoon Wild. This team has significant sentiment to his player agent and Hall of Fame Inductee as a Builder Phil Knight.

“It was the first VHL-associated team my first ever client played for,” he told VHL.com, almost wiping the tears away from his eyes. “Of course, in those days, each VHLm team was connected to a VHL team. The Wild were the junior team of the Seattle Bears. Phil Gerrard went there after being drafted by Seattle at 7th overall in the S19 draft.”

It’s funny after all this time, with Gerrard, Rafter, Villeneuve, Hamilton all gone and Shankly on his way out… 38 full seasons of hockey, the story comes full circle.

“Gerrard’s second team was the Toronto Legion, after being coaxed away from Seattle, he headed to their greatest rivals in Toronto. It’s funny to think that Bennington has the same connections in his brief time here. Saskatoon, and since he’s property of the Legion, that’s where he will play his rookie season. It really makes you reflect upon your career.”

VHL.com was not sure if this was a hint that Mr. Knight’s time in the VHL is drawing to a close. Knowing his tenacity, it’s unlikely, but when speaking so fondly about the past, and so venomously about the present (see my previous article), it’s not farfetched to wonder what the weight of the words actually are.

It would be odd to think Mr. Knight as on his way out, considering he has the brightest star in the VHLm on his hands. None of his client (all but one Hall of Famers), have had any success in the VHLm so this may be a sign of things to come from the English Left Winger. But with his shortened career, it will be tough to make a lasting impact on the VHL. But Bennington is not adverse to go for it.

“Honestly, I feel good. I don’t have the amount of practice hours I would like to have but given how I am clicking with my linemates here in Saskatoon, I have every ounce of confidence in my ability to go for it when I get to the VHL.”

By “it”, Bennington is referring to the coveted Stolzy Trophy – the VHL’s Top Rookie. This is also a thought that makes Mr. Knight salivate. It is well known that he has always wanted one with his players but they never seem to perform well enough during their rookie campaigns… however, they have also never stayed down in the minors an extra year. Is this what was missing? Is this the secret?

I guess we will find out next season!

• 1 month later...

REVIEW:

It's interesting to see these kind of coincidences around here. I also might have one, but for that I'll need to wait for the Game 6 and this is not about my players. Btw, if I won't get kicked out of Toronto LR, I'll share two LR's with you again, that's wassup. 

Also, I said in previous article about that Mueller-Bennington connection which basically is a VHLM version of Krīgars-Locke. Does that means Riga and Sasky will get their respective cups? :ph34r: At least I hope for that in Riga. 

@Phil