My Last VHL Draft

Daniel

With me entering the VHL Draft for the second time as an active member (yikes that's disappointing given my player count), I thought it'd be interesting to think back a little bit to the last time this happened, many moons ago back in S48. 13 seasons ago, my player was Dmitri Dadonov, another goaltender, and I was taken 6th overall by the Quebec City Meute. That draft had some great players in it, notable names included Black Velvet, Unassisted and Tyson Kohler, and I was honoured to be taken where I was. The Meute were building a great future and I was very excited to be a part of their team, although it only lasted a single season before I made my ill-fated expedition into VHL GMing with the Helsinki Titans and left the team. I often wonder how different things might have been if I had stayed with the team and not opted to enter into a role that was doomed to fail with my schedule at the time. Regardless, there are many similarities with this time around and that previous venture. Once again, my player is a goaltender and once again I'm towards the upper end of TPE in the class. This time however, it does feel nice to know there is a lower weight of expectation. The majority of people aren't expecting big things from this player, so the opportunity to prove them wrong and go some way to undo my terrible reputation as a builder is exciting, and something I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into.

• Commissioner

I said it then and I'll say it now. Holik > Dadonov :PI rod recall having an entertaining VHLM rivalry though. Shame it didn't continue into the VHL.