Sitting on my hands [1/2]

Quik

Double Trouble

This title has nothing to do with anything other than I will be claiming doubles on this submission next week, as I've already claimed welfare this week before I remembered that I get a doubles week from the league's anniversary

With the Playoffs finally underway, I find myself in familiar, yet, at the same time, uncharted territory. It is familiar in several ways: I am back on Calgary, the organization I was drafted by, after a two season stint in Seattle. New in the sense that, in my first go around with the organization, we never even came close to the playoffs. Familiar again because I have been in the playoffs the past two seasons, yet still new because neither season saw my team hold home-ice advantage, never mind topping the league during the Regular Season – now we wait the decision of New York v. Quebec, one that many expect will go the Americans’ way. On a personal level, I’m in a similar place I’ve been in my whole career, the #1 D-man on my team, in fact, scoring more points than all other defenders on my team combined. And yet, this is also the first time I am legitimately, at least in my opinion, a contender for the Sterling Labatte Trophy as the league’s top Offensive Defenceman. It’s really an interesting time for me, closing out my final non-depreciation season, and yet looking at probably the best stretch of my career ahead!

When it comes to the Playoffs, I’m very excited. I feel kind of like LeBron, in that I was the top Free Agent, and I returned to my original franchise in hopes of bringing them a Continental Cup. It’s funny, so many people expected this outcome, and I don’t know that they’ll ever believe me when I say that it was not planned. In all my years spent on this site, I’ve only ever experienced Free Agency once before, and that was my final season with Bailey, where I had already planned on signing with Sauve and Dawson (ironically, with Calgary as well). This time, I went in expecting one thing, and then, after weighing all my options, was actually fairly surprised that Calgary was the destination I was choosing. But, this isn’t an article explaining that decision, I’ve already done that, so if you want to believe I had pre-selected Calgary, go ahead, nothing I say will change that.

Looking at the road ahead, it’s looking like we’ll be facing New York in the Semi-Finals. It’s crazy to think that, after everyone thought they’d be the easy Victory Cup team, they’re actually in the Wild Card Series. Still, there’s no taking them lightly, with all the fire-power they have, they can skate with anyone. I’m not saying I’m scared, we definitely have the weapons to counter them, and I plan on winning the Continental Cup this year, but they are a legit team that we cannot look past when we play them in a few days (assuming Quebec doesn’t come back from their 2-0 hole).

After that, Helsinki vs. Davos is an intriguing series. Higgins is a crafty sumbitch though, so the Titans making it to the Finals would not surprise me in the least. It would be more familiar territory if they do, as I’ve faced off against the Titans in each of the last 2 Continental Cup Finals, with a 1-1 record. It’d be nice to take the Best-of-3 in that mini-series, claiming my second Cup at the expense of the Titans. If it’s the Dynamo, that’d be fun too, playing against McAllister in a series would be fun bragging rights between CowboyinAmerica and me. I feel like they’d have some motivation after the way things played out in Free Agency, so it’d be nice to prove I made the right decision when I left them after the brief time I was there.

Aside from the playoffs and how much I want that second Continental Cup (really, I want another 4!), I’d be lying if I said that the Labatte Trophy didn’t hold a lot of meaning to me as well, especially considering my HOF aspirations. For voters, it’d be hard to overlook Ay Ay Ron’s 91 assists and his being the only defenceman to break the century mark in points with 102, but I really believe that I have a better case for the award. The race really only comes down to A.Ron and me, as Pablo slowed to a standstill by the end of the season, after I was worried he’d blow by everyone after his first 20 games with Riga. While Ronnie had the 102 points, I finished 7 back of him with 95, and scored a league-leading 25 goals from the blue-line. Another big stat that falls in my favour, at least in my opinion, is that I potted 8 Game Winners. Personally, I take those 2 stats ahead of the assists, especially when the top 3 goal-scorers in the league were teammates on Helsinki, but I can see how it might be difficult to separate them as the chicken and egg argument is likely going to come up – did the assists lead to the goals, or did the goals lead to the assists?

On a completely personal level, after altering my game this season, my stats took a huge leap forward. After scoring only 37 goals through my first 4 seasons, I scored 25 this year. For the fourth straight season, I got my career bests in both assists (70 vs. 67) and points (95 vs. 77). I had the best plus/minus of my career, with a +51, the most shots with 323, hits with 137, game winners with 8 (had only scored 2 in all 4 seasons prior to this one, combined), and powerplay goals with 12. Hell, I even racked up more PIMs than I had in all 4 seasons combined, with 88 (I only had 79 in my career, coming into this season). Suffice it to say, I was much more engaged in the play this season, and it showed up in my stats.

All in all, this has been a real good season for both my team and me, and I look forward to another deep playoff run with the boys. Let’s go Wranglers!

:cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal::cal:

• 2 weeks later...

Review

Great MS, Of course I have to rib you once again for spurning he Dynamo and signing with Calgary because you wanted to win. However, that probably was just STHS being STHS because this season you guys look well on your way to being the Cup Champs. Johnsson has been a great teammate for my inactive years with Gretz. Too bad I couldn't be on your team when I was active.