Thoughts on the VHL's Goalie Situation

Hybrid1486

I’ve seen mention of it here and there on the boards, but I’m curious as to what exactly the state of goaltending is in the VHL these days?

A quick glance at the league leaders leads me to believe that things aren’t looking too good for netminders in the league these days. I see one legit veteran standout in Norris Stopko and another, Shawn Brodeur, who was probably on a good path but is now just more-or-less a serviceable veteran. There are two other vets who are both headed for retirement in Markus King and Ike Arkander, while Roger Sterling is headed for greatness but not quite there yet. I’m not quite sure how Arvid Aamo managed a 0.918 save percentage with under 200 TPE, but he seems to be dead in the water as well.

By my count, that’s three teams whose goaltending situation is settled. Ismond Kingfisher is headed to New York next season, so that makes four.  The draft also brings in the promising Johnny Carison, so assuming some team doesn’t pick him just to hold as a trade chip that makes five. Kevin Weekes is improving, but he’s far from a lock to settle a team in net. That leaves three teams out in the cold, barring an unforeseen influx of goaltending talent. What gives?

26 minutes ago, Hybrid1486 said:

I’ve seen mention of it here and there on the boards, but I’m curious as to what exactly the state of goaltending is in the VHL these days?

A quick glance at the league leaders leads me to believe that things aren’t looking too good for netminders in the league these days. I see one legit veteran standout in Norris Stopko and another, Shawn Brodeur, who was probably on a good path but is now just more-or-less a serviceable veteran. There are two other vets who are both headed for retirement in Markus King and Ike Arkander, while Roger Sterling is headed for greatness but not quite there yet. I’m not quite sure how Arvid Aamo managed a 0.918 save percentage with under 200 TPE, but he seems to be dead in the water as well.

By my count, that’s three teams whose goaltending situation is settled. Ismond Kingfisher is headed to New York next season, so that makes four.  The draft also brings in the promising Johnny Carison, so assuming some team doesn’t pick him just to hold as a trade chip that makes five. Kevin Weekes is improving, but he’s far from a lock to settle a team in net. That leaves three teams out in the cold, barring an unforeseen influx of goaltending talent. What gives?

You forgot Quebec’s Tristian Iseult @Arthur