First Gens vs. Re-Creates

Beketov

• Commissioner

We’re back for more old man bitching! After looking over the insane amount of TPE that some of our new guys have during my last podcast I came to the conclusion that what I wanted to talk about this week is the difference between first gen and re-creates and if we have pushed things too far in either direction.

Obviously re-creates get carryover TPE and new guys don’t, this isn’t anything new and it also isn’t going away any time soon. It would suck mightily to go 8 seasons with a player and then have to start completely from scratch. In fact I know it does because of our failed little player 2 experiment. Anyway, back in the day this re-creation TPE capped out at 75 while new players started at 0. Nowadays the cap is still 75 BUT that counts the 30 starting TPE so effectively the cap is only 45 on top of that there’s no point taking carryover if you get under 30 TPE. I don’t remember exactly what’s needed to hit that point but it’s not nothing. We’ve discussed having the starting 30 not count but haven’t reached an agreement.

In any case, why do I bring this all up? Well, because it’s the main difference between re-creates and first gens which creates a potential problem when carryover TPE doesn’t hit 30, or even when it’s a low amount. See, there are bonuses that first gens get that no one else does. Extra lottery chances, some bonus player store stuff, free TPE for hitting 100, etc. These all exist to kind of balance things out so that first gens don’t get stomped. Problem is, are they too much? Considering we’ve made the carryover “cap” lower and have made a level where you effectively get none if someone creates, goes inactive, and then retires to come back they’ll actually be in a worse off position than a first gen player.

Is this fair? I don’t know. Have we pushed things too far? Beats me. I don’t have answers, I just make discussion topics. I just know we didn’t spoon feed first gens back in my day. Mind you retention sucked back then so what do I know. Care to discuss?

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

We’re back for more old man bitching! After looking over the insane amount of TPE that some of our new guys have during my last podcast I came to the conclusion that what I wanted to talk about this week is the difference between first gen and re-creates and if we have pushed things too far in either direction.

Obviously re-creates get carryover TPE and new guys don’t, this isn’t anything new and it also isn’t going away any time soon. It would suck mightily to go 8 seasons with a player and then have to start completely from scratch. In fact I know it does because of our failed little player 2 experiment. Anyway, back in the day this re-creation TPE capped out at 75 while new players started at 0. Nowadays the cap is still 75 BUT that counts the 30 starting TPE so effectively the cap is only 45 on top of that there’s no point taking carryover if you get under 30 TPE. I don’t remember exactly what’s needed to hit that point but it’s not nothing. We’ve discussed having the starting 30 not count but haven’t reached an agreement.

In any case, why do I bring this all up? Well, because it’s the main difference between re-creates and first gens which creates a potential problem when carryover TPE doesn’t hit 30, or even when it’s a low amount. See, there are bonuses that first gens get that no one else does. Extra lottery chances, some bonus player store stuff, free TPE for hitting 100, etc. These all exist to kind of balance things out so that first gens don’t get stomped. Problem is, are they too much? Considering we’ve made the carryover “cap” lower and have made a level where you effectively get none if someone creates, goes inactive, and then retires to come back they’ll actually be in a worse off position than a first gen player.

Is this fair? I don’t know. Have we pushed things too far? Beats me. I don’t have answers, I just make discussion topics. I just know we didn’t spoon feed first gens back in my day. Mind you retention sucked back then so what do I know. Care to discuss?

increase the max tpe carry over to 100 problem solved

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

increase the max tpe carry over to 100 problem solved

Is it though? Or does that push us too far the other way and offer too much advantage to re-creates?

25 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Abolish carryover TPE and everyone starts at the same spot.

I wouldn't be against this, or only allowing carryover (and make it high) if you finish your career proper. Ergo, if you retire at deadline last season, you get no carryover. You get the bonus of more time in VHLM, but you start from scratch with no first gen benefits. That meta has become so tired. 

But if you go all 8, all the way to the end and wait to create until after the season is up, like just huge carryover maybe 10-15% or something. With a cap on TPE maybe 100-150? Would be a bold idea, but with so few people actually going the distance and everyone either retiring early due to circumstances or targeting the trade deadline time to get in with the most gap between drafts, this would be interesting to say the least. Obviously it affects drafts too, but it would make multiple retirement options viable.