Managing Expectations

TMI

I think that the hardest thing I've had to cope with so far being such a new player to the VHL is to manage my expectations.  Of course we all want to come out and just put up a ton of great stats and do all we can, but the thing that's hard to remember sometimes is that it takes time.  You could say I've been a little frustrated to this point with how I've played individually when given my chances.  I was super excited when I got my first point, an assist in our fifth game of the season for a Burnt Toast goal, but overall it's been few and far between.  

I've always been an offensive type forward from the time I can remember and that's probably what's been frustrating me the most, the fact that my shot percentage is so low.  I keep taking my shots when  I got them because that's what I do and what coaches know I'm capable of and expect from me, but things just haven't been clicking.  In the meantime I've kind of been doing some of the dirty work, scrapping it up a bit with opponents and hoping it sparks another teammate to have a good night.  Right now it's all about doing what I can to help out.