Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 5)

Advantage

Welcome to the fifth edition of the Transaction Chronicles as I will continue on with my rebuild that started in the S34 off-season as I looked towards the future of the New York Americans, rather than the past.  

To Yp5RCrq.png
S36 SEA 3rd (LW Henrik Hedman)
S37 CGY 3rd (LW Matthew Jay Banks)

To YTzfe5K.png
(S30) D - Lars Lessio

New York Americans GM: Chris Miller
Calgary Wranglers GM: Jason Glasser

Honestly, this is probably not even really worth discussing but I did say I would cover every trade whether big or small when I originally introduced this Media Spot topic.  This one involved me trading my depth defender who sat just under 200 TPE in Lars Lessio, to the Calgary Wranglers for two third round picks that I knew very well probably would not pan out.  In my mind at the time, I felt that just moving on from the depreciating barely-VHL defender in Lessio was worth it and that even if I could somehow snag a future VHL player it would be a mindbogglingly steal.  With that being said, neither Hedman or Banks panned out and Lessio played the role of cheap mediocre defender for the rest of his career.

To :nya:

TOR S36 1st Round Pick (Andrey Zadorov)

To :tor:

HSK S36 1st Round Pick (DuJuan Cook)

NYA S37 2nd Round Pick (Bennett Wahl)

CGY S37 2nd Round Pick (Mikael Svensson)

New York GM: Chris Miller

Toronto GM: Edgar

Flash forward towards the next off-season to finally see the S36 HSK 1st Round Pick get moved (after being acquired for Ryan Sullivan) along with two other seconds to move up three spots in the draft.  I knew who I was targeting and called this my toughest move yet at the time of the trade.  It was also @Edgar first move as a GM and the reception of the trade seemed pretty even by the rest of the league.  Most felt it was a fair trade that allowed me to get my guy and allow Edgar to maybe hit on the 9th overall pick and gear up a couple of picks for the S37 draft that was expected to be strong.  Zadorov would be a strong defender for me for half of his career before I would be forced to move on from him due to my cap.  He was an excellent defender that did win a Continental Cup in Season 39 for New York.  Toronto swung and missed on Cook and Svensson but hit strongly on Wahl who would go on to record 331 points in 360 games as an excellent second line option for a few different teams.  Overall though, I think I took this trade but Toronto did help redeem themselves by taking Wahl in S37, who was by far the best pick available.  Interesting thing was that Cook really wasn't even that far from being BPA with much of the remaining draft either being guys who were around 200 TPE scrubs or guys who never made it to the VHL.

To :nya::

(S34) Simon Tremblay 

(S33) Keiji Toriyama 

To :oldcgy::

S37 Davos 2nd Round Pick (Kez Kincaid)

S37 Vasteras 2nd Round Pick (Penis Anthony Doubligné)

New York GM: Christopher Miller

Calgary GM: Jason Glasser

I remember when having this discussion with Jason and being absolutely shocked at how cheap I was going to be able to get both of these players, who were still at the time fairly young.  Toriyama being @street made me pretty interested as someone who could help lead my team out of a quick rebuild since I had all my picks already in place for Season 36 and 37.  I felt that he could be an excellent core piece to get my team going and he proved to be exactly that.  I felt the same way about Tremblay but in a lesser role but ST ended up putting up a lot of goals too as a solid accessory piece.  Toriyama would go on to record 593 points in 503 games with his brief time in New York being really the start of his breakout as he had a monster first season with the Americans.  Tremblay stayed with New York a little longer and finished with a respectable career, recording 423 points in 504 games.  Calgary didn't keep either second round pick, electing to move them in future deals.  Kincaid would have a pretty brief but respectable VHL career with 174 points in 247 games and Penis had a mediocre but longer VHL career.  I definitely feel this trade helped jump start my Americans to another level and gave us the tools to get out of a rebuild and help my young guys really succeed.